Railroad lines in CM:Normandy

sure it could i mean it could be a way to get supplies more realistically then them to just show up after a mission in campaign

I don't believe it's at all realistic for a battalion or smaller on the front line to receive resupply via train.

I don't believe it's at all realistic for a battalion or smaller on the front line to receive resupply via train.

Amen. Rail terminals and dumps were usually quite a few miles to the rear of the front. You wouldn't want enemy artillery falling on your train while you were unloading it. I think the only time a CM sized force would be drawing directly from a rail line would be if it were in retreat and had fallen back on a dump that hadn't been blown yet. Pretty rare.

Michael

I am replacing the highway actually as it is less commonly used and has more 'slots' for textures. It would be no effort to make a second version replacing gravel roads if people wanted it though.

So far I have textured the rails themselves and made a straight length of track that tiles correctly. It doesn't look perfect because it isn't be 3D but I can live with that. This evening I will try and make a diagonal section line up properly when tiled.

In fact, I have 3 spare slots if people wanted to suggest an unusual feature I could add. Right now they are assigned to moving the track to the edge of the tile rather than through the middle (for some kind of station platform or something) but I am open to suggestions if anyone can think of something cool

Good God! What about early war armored trains? How about Russian Front partisans ambushing trains? White/Red Russian Civil War battles? And how, in the name of all that's holy in modding, could we have "Von Ryan's Express" without trains???

Obviously BF.C will always be relegated to being regarded as a minor player in the war simulations software world until, and unless, trains are adequately modelled. (Equally obvious would be the need for correct modelling of rail gauge, engine, rolling stock, tunnelling methodology, track metallurgy, etc., etc.)

Choo, choo

Ken

For those without a sarcasm meter we just had a good example. C3K forgot the railraod yard scene from Kelley's Heros however. Anyway, it's certainly not a make or break issue but they had railroad lines in CMX1 and I don't recall them being mentioned yet for Normandy so I was just curious. I'm sure as with everything else it's more work than just doing the graphics and it's probably a low priority, well below water. Personally I'd rather have them leave it out for now and do it right later rather than the mediocre rail lines we had in CMX1.

Tactically, does this matter? Honest question.

You could fill a book with examples of important WWII battles that happened on or around railroad lines (so there is a need for railroads for authentic visuals), and since railroad beds are often raised above the surrounding terrain and provide a means for movement of heavy vehicles, they frequently played an important role at the tactical level (so there is a need for railroads for authentic tactics). In particular, railroad embankments often provided excellent hull down positions for armor.

I haven't looked at it scientifically, but I would guess that railroads were about as common as paved highways in this timeframe, and perhaps more common in certain settings (Russia, for example).