Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

text futzy when ALT-TABing out

This isn't a biggie but thought BigTime should know.

I often switch in and out of Combat Mission (PC) to do other stuff. When I do that, some of the text is filled in with whatever was the background pic. For example, in the Pick Scenario screen, all the text will be hard to read because it is filled in with the background pic of the tank and infantry. I find this happens if I ALT-TAB switch instead of using ESC.

To solve this, I ESC out and go back into the CM and this fixes the text.

I run resolutions higher than 1024 x 768 outside of CM and usually in 16bit. In the game itself there are no graphics problems.

This problem can get a bit annoying especially in editing maps. I frequently collaborate using ICQ which means I ALT-TAB a lot.

My stats:

400MHz Celeron 256mb RAM

Win2000

Creative Ultra TNT 2 32mb

DW,

Trying using escape to exit, not alt-tab.

I've had much better luck avoiding problems doing this. It also works great to use esc to exit and then come back in to clear up occasional graphics glitches that show up every now and again.

I know this doesn't totally address your concern/question. And I'm not sure why the alt-tab seems to cause problems.

Mikester out.

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 07-26-2000).]

I think a point someone else raised is that using ESC is not standard for Windows users. I forget what it is for the Mac. ALT-TAB is the standard usage. ESC usually means, get out of this mode and back into another mode in the program.

It's not a major criticism. In many applications that use 3D graphics ALT-TAB will crash the machine or program smile.gif