Hey...How'd they get THAT mortar?!!?

ganked from the Wargamer Forum:

It's a video of Marines(I think, although they are DEFINITELY American) firing on Taliban insurgents with what looks like a L9A1 Mortar that the Brits use. Am I missing something here, or do you think a Platoon of Her Majesty's is running around the 'Stan with a SMAW?

Also, be forewarned; it is a video of Marines shooting at people so the language gets a bit..."Salty". The Fun moment is when they get tired of firing the Mortar, and ask if they can fire a LAW. A 6-year old at Chucky Cheese would look stoic compared to these guys.

Not Marines. Canadian Forces. The mortar is the 60mm M19, which is still in use with Canadian infantry units. The time frame and general location of the video would make this 2 PPCLI which was in active operations in Helmand province in August of 2008.

Further evidence - the camo pattern is not Marine pattern. I don't know if the Canadians have the AT4s yet (they are acquiring them) but they have plenty of M72 LAWs.

Finally, if it was an American unit, it would be a 500 lb+ bomb from called in CAS to deal with the compound, not a M72 LAW.

Not Marines. Canadian Forces. The mortar is the 60mm M19, which is still in use with Canadian infantry units. The time frame and general location of the video would make this 2 PPCLI which was in active operations in Helmand province in August of 2008.

Further evidence - the camo pattern is not Marine pattern. I don't know if the Canadians have the AT4s yet (they are acquiring them) but they have plenty of M72 LAWs.

Finally, if it was an American unit, it would be a 500 lb+ bomb from called in CAS to deal with the compound, not a M72 LAW.

Huh. I just figured America had the Patent Pending on going "WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" whenever doing anything loud or entertaining.

About 6:40 into the YouTube vid you can see that the weapon looks very much like the M224 mortar firing in hand-held mode. M224 can be set up both ways, bipod and hand-held. This is the fist video I've seen of it in hand-held operation. I've been hunting around the web trying to to find if the Canada fields the M224 or not. Its slim pickin's on the net re the topic of Canadian light mortars. There's still some question whether we're looking at Marines or Canadians.