I just can't bring myself to play campaigns!

So far I have started Task Force Thunder (Got to mission 2), Perdition (Got my butt kicked on the first mission but might have been playing for the wrong side), The road to Dinas (3rd mission) and Semper Fi, Syria (2nd mission).

I just find it so boring to play against the AI!

In a PBEM yesterday I took out a humble BTR and it felt amazing but I just dont care when playing against a computer - I could take out a tank with a toothpick and it wouldn't come close to the buzz I get from out thinking an opponent and scoring kills in multiplayer.

Is anyone else like this - who only plays multiplayer?

Any CM game is best played PBEM. I'm currently playing a PBEM with SFHand that may well match a Fabled PBEM that Joe Shaw and I played 10 years ago... So many great PBEM's and so many Great opponents...just gotta say Thanks to them all!

Perhaps you should have titled this thread 'I just can't bring myself to play against the AI'. Playing scenarios or playing campaigns against the AI is never going to match the challenge or excitement of playing against a human opponent... NEVER. Indeed, with the exception of chess I can't think of a single strategy/wargame that isn't massivelymore exciting and challenging played against a human opponent. However, I think it's very possible for scenario designers to create missions specifically to be played as one side (normally BLUE) vs the AI opponent and be challenging for the human player.

If you want to play missions against the AI you really should try playing Real Time as the computer opponent will have a better chance of giving you a challenge. If you play WEGo where you have loads of time to react to the AI's plan, well, of course it's going to be more boring than playing a human WEGO opponent.

PT - maybe I started with a bit of a sweeping statement but I do sort of like a quick single player scenario.

I don't want to put any of the campaign builders down as I can see that their creations are of very high quality with clever setups and excellent progression through the unfolding series of battles. The problem for me is that the AI will always lose but just slowly attrits your forces when you get lazy and make a mistake. I have tried real time but that just makes me micromanage even more!

Like MarkEzra said, I think I am spoiled by some great PBEM opponents, I have just played a desperate defence against pkjsmith where I tried to dodge scary amounts of artillery, set up multiple armour kill zones, fell back and eventually tried a desperate section assault to regain an objective to find that he had kept a platoon in reserve. I might have lost but it was a lot of fun!

I really should get a PBEM sorted out with someone. Would you believe I am not sure how to go about it?

My LAN games with Mishga keep me going but she's incredibly busy being the "Best Mum in the World" at the moment.

Forum Lads, if you want a PBEM I would be willing to try and provide a decent challenge. Happy to play RED or BLUE, not fussed.

I really should get a PBEM sorted out with someone. Would you believe I am not sure how to go about it?

My LAN games with Mishga keep me going but she's incredibly busy being the "Best Mum in the World" at the moment.

Forum Lads, if you want a PBEM I would be willing to try and provide a decent challenge. Happy to play RED or BLUE, not fussed.

Never played CMSF multiplayer myself. How does it actually work? There doesn't seem to be a an ingame lobby to find opponents. How can I find other players?

I've never played multiplayer myself so I am in the same boat as Afreu.

Hey Afreu ... you game?

For the record, I enjoy campaigns and playing against the AI because I have played in other multiplayer games (just not CMSF) and I can't abide the ego issues some people have.

In the several years I've been playing CM, I've only played against a human opponent in two scenarios, and both of those were on the same day against my best friend, who was totally new to the game and suffered an inglorious defeat. The entire remainder of my CM-playing experience has been versus the AI -- which is plenty challenging for me, in many (if not most) cases!

Too bad I'm the only person I could ever do a LAN with who has CMSF (or any CM game, for that matter) or has the patience to get a handle on CMSF even if they had it.

I was able to attend (and had fun at) a four-guy LAN a couple weeks ago, but we just played Age of Empires II. :P

But before I get deluged with posts or PMs about doing a PBEM, let me apologize in advance and make clear that game-playing opportunities are few and far between (I make my frequent visits to this forum while at work :eek:), so I suspect any PBEM opponent of mine would find himself (or even herself) spending much more time waiting for turns than he/she would ever spend playing his/her half of a game.

#7 Today, 01:44 PM

afreu

Member Join Date: Feb 2007

Never played CMSF multiplayer myself. How does it actually work? There doesn't seem to be a an ingame lobby to find opponents. How can I find other players?

There are two sites i use www.unitedwargamers.net which is good for getting opponents and www.worldatwar.eu .World at war is not so good for getting opponents but has a ladder system that you can use to keep track of game results, earn medals and gain rank.

Hope this helps

paul

The issue I have with playing the AI is that I start over when things start going badly. This is definitely the wrong thing to do, as when I play a human opponent things have to be a real disaster before I will surrender. I've made it quite a way into TF Thunder and restarted a few of the scenarios which means the AI has handed me my ... more than once.

What I'm trying to say is that I think I would really enjoy the campaigns if I didn't allow myself to restart them when things start going wrong. PBEM games force me to suck it up and deal with the adversity, which is part of the reason I find them superior.

Nicely put sfhand. That's probably the #1 reason why playing against the AI can be boring for some people. It's doubly important for the playing of campaigns and since campaigns were mentioned in the title, let me add that two of my campaigns were designed specifically for people to play them that way, accept the result of their mission and move on to the next one.

Both 'Hasrabit' and 'Dinas' have several different paths to the finale, in 'Hasrabit' , the path will be a more difficult one, in 'Dinas' merely a different one, and quite possibly a bit easier too but I explained how all that was to work in the campaign announcement.

What I'm trying to say is that I think I would really enjoy the campaigns if...

Oh, I'm notorious for this! Butchered like a sheep first attempt, 'tactical genius' on my second attempt. Whenever I play WeGo I also have the nasty habit of replaying turns over and over to gleen as much 'forensic' evidence as possible. I KNOW I'm spoiling the experience when I do stuff like that but some days I'm just not big on willpower. A lot of 'user complaints' I read on this board can be boiled down to "Stop me before I kill again!" They (we) can often be our own worst enemy when it comes to 'quality time' with the game. :rolleyes: