Campaign à la Close Combat

manoi

@ Dr. Jones

I've Vista 32. I'll try to change the directory where MshConverter is installed. I don't know why it's no longer working. the only change I can think of is Vista having being upgraded to framework 3.5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Can someone explain to me why wargame developers can't or won't use the same type of AI that what was used in the CCABTF?

That for me is the best wargame i have ever played. I would love to play a graphically updated version of CCABTF that has a similiar AI

ABTF has roughly the same AI as other CC games. Maybe you mean strategic AI? It doesn't really reacts to your actions, since Market Garden events are well-known and enemy usually lauches assault after receiveing reinforcements (which are hard-coded).

ABTF has the best campaign, that's for sure IMHO.

ABTF has roughly the same AI as other CC games. Maybe you mean strategic AI? It doesn't really reacts to your actions, since Market Garden events are well-known and enemy usually lauches assault after receiveing reinforcements (which are hard-coded).

ABTF has the best campaign, that's for sure IMHO.

Yeh sorry, the strategy AI. I see what you mean because OMG was well known operation from WWII and the outcome was known thats how they managed to make such a clever and engrossing game from it. ABTF was a wonderful game and i just haven't been as entertained by any other game since.

There was a guy named Jason who coded a dynamic campaign engine in C++ for the MoW/FoW/Soldiers series. Basically it is a program that ran outside of the game which read data from a saved game and determined the available units and status for the next battle. It also randomly selected a map and generated the next battle. Odd things can happen like have a PzV on a lake. A requirement was that you need to save every game after each battle under a specific name so his program can find it.

I do wish we have something similar going for ToW2...or 1C could just make it for us, damnit!

I am trying to make a very small dynamic campaign, just to try and to see what it means (on TOW 1, but the two games work the same way).

The three first missions are simultaneous (in game time of course).

For each mission, you have one infantry group (+AT, reco...). You can choose to add a tank group and paratroopers. But if you do this, they of course won't be available for the two other missions.

For the fourth mission, you have to take a town. The survivor of the first group is coming by the east, the second by the south and the last by the west. But only if they won the precedent mission.

So you can lose one or two of the first three missions, and attack the town with only one group ! But sure it will be difficult...

The greatest difficulty is to explain how it works :D

That's sound like fun and would require an interface to convey the separate battles.

Though it may be better to keep it simple for general playability. like fight battle A with the available pool. if you win, then go to next battle, plus whatever equipment you've captured. enemy will be a bit stronger since now they're closer to their supply/home. if you lose, then you fight battle A again with reinforced troops. If you retreat this time around, then the next battle on the same map would be even easier, as the force pool builds up.

The campaign resource pool has a capability to carry units forward from one battle to the next, but is not always used, meaning slots are not reserved. Results in the feeling of one battle being disjointed from another in the campaign.

• 2 weeks later...