Type of renderer

beerhunter

OK, after a lot of time trying to get one particular mission to even start - The defence of Sidi Nsir; and looking into the log file, my question is: what type of renderer this game use: Direct3d or OpenGL? What I think is that in mission builder game "use" OpenGL and in the "core game" Direct3D. I try to switch on OpenGL to use as primary renderer in game and now I got exactly the same type of error like sometimes in game: Runtime error#3(trap). Maybe some false code in core program occasionaly-random trying to switch to OpenGL renderer, and that is the point of CTD?

OK, I will try to use debbuger to see is this exe build-release-system ready of someone "forget" to remove debug code....

OpenGL renderer was used in ToW1 and no longer supported. Reason of crashes is memory allocation, that's why most crashes occur on 32-bit systems, especially Vista 32, while most Vista 64 users have no such problems at all.

In the patch work with memory on 32-bit systems will be optimized (code changes, decreasing size of some textures and sounds).

OpenGL renderer was used in ToW1 and no longer supported. Reason of crashes is memory allocation, that's why most crashes occur on 32-bit systems, especially Vista 32, while most Vista 64 users have no such problems at all.

In the patch work with memory on 32-bit systems will be optimized (code changes, decreasing size of some textures and sounds).

Thanks for quick answer, untill patch I call all my soldiers to give up weapons :P

just chiming in here.

i think i read something like this over at Empire: Total War forums, where people are also experience crashes.

it seems like 3D games these days are so great looking that they use a lot of memory and eventually will catch up to the limit of 32bit operating system's memory address space.

is this the same issue here? i could be wrong, and dont know the exact term, but reading this definitely reminded me of reading something like that on their forum.

i use 32bit vista, and my game crashes... :(

maybe i should consider 6+ gb ram and 64bit now, hehe

Because I been so inpatient to catch the following patch, yesterday I download 64-bit version of Windows 7, reinstalled all my programs, and now been playing TOW2 for 2-3 hours, lots of saving, lots of loading, not even one CTD or bug-like behaviour, started german campaign from first mission... This is truly 64bit game. But this is not a good for all users-buyers of game. Just for one game switch to 64bit OS version. I have some particular program that only run on 32bit (lucky me, there is VirtuapXP :D)

• 1 year later...