African Terrain Mod

I for one love the idea of battling it out in Africa using antiquated equipment on both sides. I am currently fighting my way through my second African scenario and am trying to hammer out a couple of maps myself. In the mean time here is a little something to make CMSF feel a little more African!

Features:

- 2 new houses: a slum house and an African hut

- Extra long grass instead of wheat fields

- Tweaked colours so the gravel road actually looks like a gravel road and joins up better with the dirt track, the grass is a little greener too

- 2 colonial style bonus buildings

Obviously it is designed to go hand in hand with MikeyD's African theatre pack which I think is a brilliant idea.

I would welcome feedback so tell me what you think!

Africathumb1.jpg

Africathumb2.jpg

It will pop up on the repository soon!

Edit: You don't have to use this as a specifically African terrain pack - as the houses are added on instead of replacing old ones it will work equally well in any other setting if you like the new gravel and long grass

Looks like good work - I just wish we had rounded buildings to do Africa properly.

These look really nice. I've never been to Africa, but they look like buildings I've seen in the Carribean.

Combatintman when you say rounded buildings what do you mean? Huts and things?

Round huts are very dependent on where you are. As cool as they would be you don't need them to do Africa.

I used to live in Angola and just about all the mud houses there were square. They were of course smaller and a bit more flimsy than the houses in shock force though! For the same reason, you can't do 'true' slum houses as you just can't model a tin shack in CMSF.

I have tried modelling a slum in Shock force but the shear number of houses needed gave me the very big map bug. Villages are OK though.

My next mod will be rail tracks! I have a couple of maps on the go with train tracks running though them but it will be a while before they are released because of, you guessed it - the very big map bug! I now have made a lot of maps but I now think the minimum size of a reallistic battle should be 3x3km and the detail involved brings my computer to its knees so I can't play them :(

Beautiful work!

I've always been interested in Africa as a setting for modern warfare. I have enjoyed books about the "mercenary" period in African history ('60s and '70s) when people like "Mad Mike" Hoare and the infamous "Colonel Callan" fought battles with communist and nationalist-inspired guerillas in Congo, Angola and elsewhere. And then, of course, there are the movies "The Wild Geese" and "The Dogs of War". Even quite recently there has been the prospect of a mercenary coup in Equatorial Guinnea, apparently partly funded by Sir Mark Thatcher.

I will be dusting off the African soldiers mod to try with the new buildings and tall grass as soon as I get the chance! :)

I've always meant to do more Africa theatre scenarios. I think I'm attracked by the dearth of 'uberweapons' on the battlefield (Though T55 does have better armor than a Panther and a bigger gun than a KT!). But I keep getting called away on other projects though. :(