campaign crashes after few minutes..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dev's are you planning to fix this problem? I am able to play the original shock force fine however when I play marine missions it crashes after 5 minutes. I am not changing catalyst drivers back and forth to work for 1 game when every other is running fine.

BTW I’ve tried the 9.7 Catalyst beta drivers and still no luck however got a performance boost with ARMA 2, not that its any relevant but it just shows that new games obviously aren’t having a problem with latest drivers and I highly doubt ATI would release a specific fix just for this.

Ok disregard the previous posts, I’ve ended most programs running and found out that it was valves digital distribution client "steam" that was causing it to crash to desktop. I've been playing for a good solid hour and no crashes so far.

*sigh* crashed after hour and a half in

Since I tried playing CMSF again last week i'm having an awfull lot of crashes.

Before I didn't have any problems with CMSF on this machine. However I havent played it really since 1.10. So perhaps the problem was introduced in 1.11 or even vista sp2. I try to get back in the game and was having a blast in the USMC campaign first level, when it bugged out :( The last few days I tried to play some of the larger battles and they ctd'ed as well (armour attacks among others). Before I haven't had any problems with those maps or CMSF in general, on both my old rig and my new one. Only that my old rig had a low frame rate on big battles in RT ;)

Cant test my old rig anymore since i gave it away. It seems after about 20-30min the game crashes no matter which map. If its of any worth I can post specs.

Hope 1.20 brings improvements :(

• 2 weeks later...

Long time poster, first time crasher. What they F is going on? I buy a new tricked out computer JUST to play CMSF and what happens? Crashes every ten minutes. It's a Vista problem. Yeah I know. Never used Vista because of its bugginess and people defended it up and down when I raised the BS flag. I have no isssues, blah blah blah, they would say. I upgrade to Vista 64 and I have problems now. Nice. Love it. They better fix it in Brit's or no more moohlah from me.:-)

If you have an ATI card, the temporary workaround is to uninstall the latest ATI drivers and reinstall 9.3. If you have an NVIDIA I am not entirely sure!

I haven't tried the 9.7 drivers which were just released, but I'm not overly hopeful.

It's possible that CMSF patch 1.20 will also help - in the many threads about ATI cards crashing since the 9.4 drivers were released back in April, I've not seen any 'official' comment on the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed 1.20 does not fix this issue.

Bug:

Newer than 9.3 Catalyst drivers (just tried 9.7 with no difference) do not work. Tried with Radeon 3870 and 4850.

After couple of minutes into playing, Task Manager will start reporting steadily increasing ram usage until all is used, which leads to CMSF crash.

• 1 month later...

Are the issues in this thread solely from playing particular campaigns like Task Force Thunder or possibly others ? Or are there general play issues here with people crashing playing scenarios and quick battles ? If it is specifically a campaign issue, then I need to know which campaign you're playing, which battle the problem occurs on and what version and modules of CMSF you have installed.

It appears that the 1.20 patch STILL does NOT fix a problem with the Task Force Thunder campaign involving the Nightstalkers battle. I don't know when we'll have a fix for this, but it may involve a reworked campaign file (as a guess). I'm not particularly aware of problems with the Marines or British Forces campaigns or other 3rd party created ones at this point. Since I haven't heard many reports (other than a lack of ammo for one battle in the Marines campaign), I assume that the campaigns themselves are not at fault.

Tuomio - The Catalyst bug is a known one at this point. Unfortunately owners of Radeon 4770's and 4890's have no workaround at this point and can't play the game reliably. ATI is aware of this issue and they're progressing on a fix to come out in some future Catalyst driver (possibly AFTER 9.9). If you run Windows Vista or Windows 7, there is a workaround that will allow you to run with a newer Catalyst while using the OpenGL ICD DLL from the 9.3 Catalyst (and your other OpenGL programs can use the newer Catalyst OpenGL ICD at the same time). If you want more details, look at the "ATI Users anyone getting opengl issues ????" thread in the Tech Support forum.

Hafer do you have this problem with your 4870 using the Catalyst 9.3 drivers ? The Radeon 4770 and 4890 users can NOT go back to Catalyst 9.3 since that driver does NOT support those particular cards. Thus they're limited to newer drivers which experience the consistent crashes. If you're using a 4870 with a Catalyst 9.4 or newer, you're going to experience problems.

I have NOT heard of the "can not initialize OpenGL..." error with the Radeon hardware and a Catalyst driver properly installed. This sounds like a Catalyst driver isn't properly installed, since that is where the OpenGL support comes. Such an error indicates that the program (CMSF in this case) can't find an OpenGL driver to talk to. This shouldn't be a problem with any of the Catalyst drivers that I'm familiar with. That everything runs properly is another matter (which is the issue we're having with the Catalyst 9.4 drivers and newer).

Correct. Catalyst 9.9 does NOT fix the issue. In fact if you read the release notes it mentions CMSF as a "known issue" under Windows XP (I'd assume Vista and 7 are also problematic). We (and quite possibly ATI/AMD for that matter) do not know when this issue will be fixed in a future Catalyst driver. We may be looking at 9.11 or 9.12 or 10.1....