CM_Normandy water

There were no problems to solve :D It's a very straight forward process that simply takes a great deal of programming time to pull off. Since there was little need for it in CM:SF we felt it was a good idea to do other things that were more relevant and save water for Normandy. Definitely can't have Normandy without water.

Water will probably be tackled fairly soon. Bridges are basically done already, though at the moment I only have Charles' word on that because I haven't played with them yet :D

We are not planning on releasing screenshots at all, of any sort, in the near future. That's because so far we've been focused on game stuff that isn't generally of a visual nature, therefore a screenshot as it stands right now looks a lot like CM:SF ;)

Steve

Splume, flume, spray, wave? What about far north ice floes? The Volga, ice cracking, as Stalingrad burns, reinforcements hoping they don't break through the thin ice hidden under snow? Hmmm, water.

Will oil slicks spread on water? If I shoot a landing craft, will it capsize? If it does, will the propeller be modelled correctly?

When a grenade goes off in a pond, will dead fish and frogs rise to the top?

Will shallow water shell impacts throw up geysers of mud and water, whereas deep water geysers only throw up water?

Water grogs await these answers.

Wade in at your own peril!

;)

Ken

It would be cool to have some variations in water splash animations dependent on the angle of the strike, water depth, and, of course, on the caliber of the rounds hitting the water. A Thompson sub-machine gun causes certain types of splashes, an 88 HE round another kind entirely. :)

Maybe "DropTeam" water. Maybe we'll be able to drive our tanks under water and resurface on the other side :D

Tangentially on-topic... Is anyone aware if DD Sherman tanks ever using their swimming abilities, I mean besides the beach landing itself? Charles wouldn't have to code in anything special if he wanted to include DD Shermans in the game, it would just be a fancied-up Sherman A1 hull polygon, right? Unless they do such a spectacular job coding water that they decide to start the title right at the D-Day landings - which I am NOT expecting.

AFAIK DDs were only used for the initial landings. The gear was dropped off as soon as possible and the tanks fought normally until they were knocked out. Which, considering how few actually made it to shore and off the beach, wasn't very many :D

The problem with having DD tanks is then we need to do all kinds of other stuff, like water obstacles, chance of swamping, LSTs, etc. Sometimes there's a slippery slope, sometimes there's a precipice leading to a dark void. This is one of the latter!

Steve

DD's in NWE were only ever used again for the crossing of the Rhine in Op VARSITY (and a US crossing further south), but IIRC they were different units to the ones that had landed on 6 June.

The DD capability was sort-of a one-shot deal. The amount of prep work required to waterproof and prepare the tanks, plus the fragility of the screens and supports, meant that you couldn't just waddle up to a river and swim across whenever you wanted. In fact, one of the tasks carried out within the first couple of days after landing was to strip off all the extraneous claggage from any of the surviving DDs.

The standard of groggery seems to be slipping - or is that just modernists frequent CMSF? : )

Operation Dragoon

The Operation Dragoon landings took place on 15 August 1944. The invasion took place between Toulon and Cannes.

A total of 36 DD-tanks were used by three American tank battalions - the 191st, the 753rd and the 756th[2]. The 756th battalion had eight tanks that were launched 2500 yards (2000 metres) from the beaches; one was swamped by the bow-wave of a landing craft and one sank after striking an underwater obstacle. The twelve tanks of the 191st battalion were all landed on or close to the beach. The 753rd battalion had 16 tanks, of which eight were launched at sea and successfully reached the shore and eight were landed directly on the beach later in the day.

The Wiki article is very interesting and thorough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD_tank

I thought anyone looking from NZ would see it as northwest Europe : )

Interesting though - I consider Southern Europe to be south of the Alps and Pyrenees and a line carried through Macedonia to Turkey. militarily speaking though Jon I think you got it right : )

The reason for the mass sinkings does seem interesting - and also how many actually got ashore

Ballistics: underwater ballistics. Yeah, now if THAT isn't modelled, I'll refuse to EVER purchase ANYTHING from BF.C again. Er, except for cool games.

I want realistic ballistics. Angle of entry which determines ricochets (which are tracked, of course), or if the angle is steep enough, entry. Sometimes bullets/shells will enter, then due to cavitation effects, re-emerge. All these trajectories need to be modelled as well as their terminal effects.

Will Aquaman be included? Can he fight mermaids? Wet, slippery mermaids...

;)

Ken

AFAIK DDs were only used for the initial landings. The gear was dropped off as soon as possible and the tanks fought normally until they were knocked out. Which, considering how few actually made it to shore and off the beach, wasn't very many :D

{snipped}

Steve

HAH! For ONCE I have the goods on you Steve ... passing off FALSE grog information ... for shame sir ...

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=5399

Joe

Let me get this straight... Joe Shaw, THE Joe Shaw of Justicar infamy, just produced a post with an actual and relevant fact? I... I... I don't know what to say. The universe has turned upside down. Next thing I'm going to read is that the economy is great, Afghanistan is becoming a member of the EU, and Britney is back together with Federline. Oh the Humanity of it all!

Yeah, I definitely forgot DDs were used for the Rhein crossing. Maybe also in the Schledt Estuary amphibious assault?

Regardless, they weren't used willy nilly to cross minor tactical water obstacles, which I think was what the original question was hinting at.

Steve

Let me get this straight... Joe Shaw, THE Joe Shaw of Justicar infamy, just produced a post with an actual and relevant fact? I... I... I don't know what to say. The universe has turned upside down. Next thing I'm going to read is that the economy is great, Afghanistan is becoming a member of the EU, and Britney is back together with Federline. Oh the Humanity of it all!

Yeah, I definitely forgot DDs were used for the Rhein crossing. Maybe also in the Schledt Estuary amphibious assault?

Regardless, they weren't used willy nilly to cross minor tactical water obstacles, which I think was what the original question was hinting at.

Steve

I forgive you ... go forth and sin no more.

Joe