An idea to promote more scenario making

If I can make a suggestion for BFC:

Add a "license" section to the scenario data. Before you can save a scenario to disk the user gets a dialog box to state what the license is. Preferably separately for map and the rest of the thing.

The uncertainty about who's maps and scenarios you are allowed to reuse isn't doing much good. Same for mods, but that's harder to do.

If I can make a suggestion for BFC:

Add a "license" section to the scenario data. Before you can save a scenario to disk the user gets a dialog box to state what the license is. Preferably separately for map and the rest of the thing.

The uncertainty about who's maps and scenarios you are allowed to reuse isn't doing much good. Same for mods, but that's harder to do.

You haven't looked much at the repository much? There is already a License section included in scenario/mod data, with the option to make the player click to agree before downloading.

You haven't looked much at the repository much? There is already a License section included in scenario/mod data, with the option to make the player click to agree before downloading.

That doesn't buy you anything for the things on your harddrive.

It also doesn't allow you to pick a license of your choice.

Back on the topic of this thread, here's a further suggestion to you fledgling map makers... recycle your own work.

Here's a screenshot of my very first QB map...

QBMap.jpg

It really is nothing special, no flavour objects or buildings, just a rather bog standard open desert map that I liked to use for tank battles in the very early days of CMSF. But after creating a map, I don't just leave it, I use it again...

Guards.jpg

That's the map for 'The Guards Counterattack' in the 'Hasrabit' campaign, stretched quite a bit along the east-west axis but it's essentially the same map...

And used it again here....

Metal.jpg

That's the map for 'Heavy Metal' from the 'Hasrabit' campaign.

So I used the same map three times in different guises. It doesn't take very much time to alter a map that you've already used to make it bigger, better etc...

Or how about this one? This is the map from my very first scenario 'In Harms Way'

Harm.jpg

This is an adaption of one of my favourite ASL scenarios 'The Niscemi-Biscemi Highway' or something like that... it's not important... I've since used it again...

Jameelah.jpg

This is the map for 'Jameelah' in the 'Dinas' campaign. As you can see, it's been hugely altered but it wasn't nearly as much work to do as to start a new one from scratch...

Finally, once you get a bit of confidence placing buildings and flavour objects, you can really go to town....

Dinas1.jpg

That's a shot of the map I made for the finale to 'Dinas'. The outskirts of the town have been devastated by a huge preliminary artillery barrage and many of the buildings are broken or rubbled, with copious amounts of junk flavour objecrs arranged in patterns stretching away from the fallen buildings. It took me hours and hours just to place the flavour objects for this one but in the end I felt the effort was worth it.

Has anybody actually started to work on a scenario on an existing map yet? With a couple of hundred QB maps already available for doing this I have a feeling that you're going to find that it's programming the AI that's the real challenge when designing scenarios. I guess we'll soon find out...