Red Wings Win 2009 Stanely Cup

MeatEtr

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

don't get ahead of yourself, the Habs are still alive....:)

Yeah I know, that and 14 other teams might have something to say about it too. I figured this would be my last time to gloat about last years cup run. Just wanted to get one last shout out. :D

Figured it was just a matter of time until somebody started a SC playoff thread. Haha, in my haste to post this thread I misspell Stanley, lol!

Why are they called the Habs?

Habs is short for "Habitants", the french word for "people who live here" or "original settlers". This was the nickname the english minority gave to the french population in Quebec in the 18th and 19th century. Since the Montreal Canadians used to be made up mostly with french-canadian players, this became the team's unofficial nickname. The word "Habitant" itself has completely disappeared from common usage since it has a negative connotation, similar to, although not as harsh as the "N" word for African-Americans.

of course, these days, the Habs have more Russian than french-canadian players...:rolleyes:

Hockey has always made an ideal video game, and it's the video games that drive my interest.

When I was in college we used to play NHL 94 on the Sega Genesis or some such system. We'd play like mad, we'd play for money. It was very competitive. That got me interested in real hockey at the time for about a year.

But with my recent purchase of an XBox 360 I decided to relive the old days and am now trying hard to get better at NHL 08. This has prompted me to watch the real thing again, so I am interested in the playoffs this year.

Me too now.

And I never was interested in hockey! :D

One has to wonder why you weren't. Womens hockey is THE ideal spectator sport, invented by some genius. A team of ladies, dressed in mini-skirts and equipped with a stick not long enough to be utilized while upright. The thinking behind that is phenomenal.

NHL hockey compares rather badly. Wayne Gretzky v Fatima Moreira de Melo, it's no contest at all, really.

Sheep related or women's business?

Almost everything has a different meaning down there, wouldn't it be better for the World if the Russians would kindly send Krylya Sovjetov and Torpedo Gorgy (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod) to teach the Middle-Earthers some facts about Hockey? They could teach a thing or two about Navy and Air Force too, considering those flying beasts and creatures taken from the JJR Tolkien's schematics are not a proper form of naval aviatation!

Let's go Flames!

Hockey has always made an ideal video game, and it's the video games that drive my interest.

When I was in college we used to play NHL 94 on the Sega Genesis or some such system. We'd play like mad, we'd play for money. It was very competitive. That got me interested in real hockey at the time for about a year.

But with my recent purchase of an XBox 360 I decided to relive the old days and am now trying hard to get better at NHL 08. This has prompted me to watch the real thing again, so I am interested in the playoffs this year.

Runyan, right there with you man, that's when I started to get into hockey too. I learned quite a bit from playing NHL 94 and 95. I knew every teams line-up or at least their 1st lines from playing the game so much. The Genesis always had the better sports games. I think hockey videogame fans consider these two games the pinnacle of the series, even now today. The hours would fly by, along with the controllers getting thrown by some that reached their boiling points. Of course all the trash talking didn't help matters. :D

As far as sports videogames go, most people don't know but hockey is probably the best as a videogame. The Madden series sells a bazillion copies every year. I've personally converted Madden players over to the hockey series.

I too also tried getting newer versions of the NHL series. But unless you got buddies to play with it just isn't the same playing through a season/playoffs by yourself. I highly recommend getting the '06 game since NHL 94 comes along with it on the same DVD. Not sure if it's available for the 360, I got mine for the PS2.

Huh. "Red Wings" means something quite different where I'm from.

Well even here in the states it has another meaning as well. But it's pretty nasty so lets not go there.

Sharks down 2 games, interesting.... those pesky Ducks.

Yeah Ken, looks like the Presidents trophy curse might bite early this year.

Sharks are done. I can see them getting one more at home, but they have no chance of winning the next 3 in a row, not against that ducks team. What a terrible performance last night. It's a pity because if my team doesn't make it, I was sorting of hoping for a sharks boston finals as a consolation prize. Not gonna happen now.