Anti-armor hand grenades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=333cImJqOfY&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RKG-3_anti-tank_grenade

I know this video is 2 years old but it shows pretty good footage of HEAT grenades in action. The grenades being used in the video are Russian-built RKG-3 anti-tank grenades.

Has anybody heard of these being used in Iraq?

I think it would be pretty cool to see these added to the Syrian arsenal in CMSF, possibly in one of the upcoming modules. I remember someone on these forums saying that when considering a new feature for the game, the gameplay outcome must be weighed against the time and effort of adding the feature. This seems like it would be easy to add.

Is this a weapon that is relevent in a conventional war? Could it be used effectively by conventional army forces or would its very short range limit its effectiveness to those dressed as civilans against occupation forces, as shown in the video?

Ah! I had forgot all about this weapon! Its rather equivalent to the WWII hand-thrown RPG (a different acronym than 'rocket propeled grenade') fielded in CMBB. Basically all the Russian infantry had for protection besides molotovs and anti-tank rifles.

CMBB may not model that weapon specifically, but considering their generic grenade's ability to mess-up light armor it may not be necessary. :)

The two early Russian models (WWII vintage) were the RPG-40 and RPG-43. Not being especially groggy in this matter, I was surprised to find that the RPG-40 is not, in fact, a HEAT weapon at all, being simply an oversized grenade warhead probably similar to the concept behind the german stick grenade bundle. The later RPG-43 did employ the Munroe Effect and was much more effective than the earlier model.

In fact there are several WWII vintage hand-held weapons which attempted to address the problem of infantry vs. tank combat, with varying degrees of success. Especially a number of rifle launched grenade systems which saw spotty usage. The Wehrmacht even had a flare-like pistol that fired an anti-tank grenade.

http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust8.htm#sp

Most of these ideas were early war 41-42 and were largely abandoned by the time the earliest faust weapons came on the scene.