Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Help with runservice error/license

I am using a computer that I have always used to play this game. Was away for a couple of weeks, and then settled in yesterday to try and play a scenario. I am hitting a runservice error, every time I attempt to start the game, and a CM Shock Force exe error stating "Sorry, could not get a license at this time, please try running this program later" 23 0

I find this extremely annoying, from two points.

One, I have used this program on this computer before, already licensed, registered, etc etc... Why is it even searching for a license now?

and,

Two, while there are a couple of topics in the Troubleshooting FAQ, that nearly approach this, neither of them actually do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I rarely have time to play this incredible game, and hate losing 2 of my rare off days, to such a strange problem.

Thanks in advance.

edit...for what it's worth, I have the same exact error, trying to run CMBB as well, which has also many times run fine off of this computer.

This does indeed sound quite strange.

You may want to unlicense both CMBB and CMSF (I assume this will be possible) and then re-license them. The unlicensing scheme I'm familiar with usually involves modifying the 'shortcut' to have an -unlicense text string added at the end. To do it right-click on shortcut > select 'Properties' > 'Shortcut' tab should automatically be selected > 'Target' box > within the quotes add a space and then type in -unlicense > click 'OK' and the next time you launch the game it should prompt you to unlicense the game. For some people an "eLicense control panel" also exists, though I've never seen it myself. This control panel can be used (if it exists for you) to control the licensing of both CMBB and CMSF. The next time you launch the game(s) it should go through the licensing process.

If this doesn't work, then check out the Battlefront HelpDesk for eLicensing Problems. Your particular problem has this text for a "solution":

This error indicates a problem with the eLicense software on your computer. " ...get a license" does not refer to license acquisition from the eLicense servers, it refers to the eLicensed application being unable to retrieve license data on your computer. With older versions of eLicense, this error may occur on Windows XP when using the Fast Switch feature, and the logged-on user is not the owner of the program. This error will also occur when trying to run eLicensed software via Terminal Server or Remote Desktop.

If this is happening for all your eLicensed games out of a sudden, then I would suspect that your runservice.exe file (that is usually located in your C:\Windows folder) has been removed by "something" on your PC, e.g. firewall software, DEP, or UAC. Search your Windows folder for the file. If it's not there, submit a ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and we'll send you the file to manually copy it into your Windows folder.

Unfortunately, some of these "security" packages nowadays are getting so aggressive that you'd think soon they'll prevent you to do anything else than switch on and switch off your PC because otherwise you may get infected...