CMSF with intel i7?

I'm running it with a 920, six gig of ddr3 ram @1600 and an ATI 4870x2 under Vista 64 and, I have to be honest, it's not overly amazing i'm afraid.

To be fair, I haven't played it that much since I installed it. The installation was strange - it took about three tries to get SF installed and then another couple of attempts to get Marines installed on top of it. In-game I've got everything turned up all the way but it seems pretty laggy, which surprised me. I've not really looked at trying to optimise it or anything yet so i'm sure it might improve. I kind of assumed it was Vista 64 causing the problems, though, as I had real problems with Il2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles (had problems installing it, couldn't get it to run at all, which seems to be a Vista 64 issue.)

In all other games my rig just rocks through everything. I thought there had been a thread about issues with multicore chips and the way the game adresses memory or something (too technical for me!) it might be worth looking at that.

Its a great chip though and i recommend it if your looking at one. I've not bothered trying to overclock it yet but I think i might give it a go in the next few days.

I'm going to have a good go at SF over the weekend, though, so I'll keep you informed of how it goes.

Thanks. Ive already decided to buy it. But it would feel kind of strange to go from pentium 4 with no lag on highest settings to an i7 processor with lag. But i hope they fix it sometime soon if the processor is causing the lag. Anyone know if there is a problem with i7 processors? Its nice to hear its working great in other games....too bad this is my absolute favourite.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the game on my spiffy new I7 920/4870x2 setup. It runs smoothly on the highest gfx settings even in large games. I still use XP. My only beef is the game's low maximum resolution. Or maybe that's been improved with the Marines add on? Haven't got that yet.

LarsS - what "low maximum resolution" are you speaking of ? I'm under the impression that CMSF can run at whatever resolution your desktop is set to (within the OpenGL 3D capabilities of your videocard and driver).

I believe with "Desktop Setting" in Options you should get whatever resolution your desktop is set to run at. Admittedly there are a limited number of discretely listed resolutions which limits the choice on non-desktop sizes for the screen.

LarsS - what "low maximum resolution" are you speaking of ? I'm under the impression that CMSF can run at whatever resolution your desktop is set to (within the OpenGL 3D capabilities of your videocard and driver).

I believe with "Desktop Setting" in Options you should get whatever resolution your desktop is set to run at. Admittedly there are a limited number of discretely listed resolutions which limits the choice on non-desktop sizes for the screen.

You are absolutely right. I must have done something wrong, because when I played a bit later I got the 1920x1200 resolution I wanted. I blame... the cat! And it looks good, I might add. Frekkin' good. And still runs well.