Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

US light Infantry TOE

When will we get US light Infantry Formations for CMSF? Actualy all that is needed is already in Game. Larger squads, Javelins, Humvees with TOW.

Whenever I play a scenario with US Airborne forces I have to borrow Javelins and the weapons company from the Marines.

Can that be included in the brits module?

I would think that Ranger TO&E would differ at least slightly from that in the IBCT units, though. I might be completely wrong other than the 6-man squads, but I would think that Rangers would be fairly differently equipped and organized.

Vehicles are different, certainly. In the near future, the Rangers will be acquiring Strykers....while not acquiring additional slots for Stryker mechanics and relevant support personnel. The Ranger regiment also has a good inventory of modified humvees, the type with multiple machine gun mounts for passengers, and similarly modified heavy trucks.

Ranger Battalions now utilize a 6-man squad to coincide with the creation of an extra company / battalion without lowering recruitment standards.

Can you expand on the how a six man squad operates? I'm imagining it's two three man teams with the squad leader dual-hatted as team leader?

Can you expand on the how a six man squad operates? I'm imagining it's two three man teams with the squad leader dual-hatted as team leader?

I don't know, it's still in its infancy and doctrine hasn't been fully established, as far as I know. The current (2006) edition of the Ranger Handbook still supports the 8-9man squad, but the current edition (2007-8) edition of Ranger Operations supposedly employs the new 6-man model, but I have not read it so I can't comment. When I was in Ranger school (2004), we were organized in 9 man squads, but got smaller as attrition through the course set in. By the end of the 9 weeks, ~50-60 soldiers were doing the work of a reinforced company, and while we pulled it off, I wouldn't say it was spectacularly achieved.

I imagine it either works as 2 mini-fire teams, or the platoons use squads where they once would have used teams. Either way, I think it's poor planning, organization, and doctrine. Like I said, this is still very very new.

I've seen military documentation that states that, at the platoon level, the Rangers have 3 vs. 2 complete MGer teams in the unit. I think this is still based around the normal rifle squads having 9 men and two fire teams.

http://orbat.com/site/toe/toe/usa/platoontoe.html

Yeah, Ranger school wasn't like that at all. There was less organization outside of the main positions: PL, compass,pace,map, radio, MG. Several Rangers would distribute SAW and MG ammunition amongst themselves; but pay no heed, Ranger school does not = Ranger battalion.

I tried cross-referencing the cited document, but got a 404. It would help to know what edition of the FM is being cited. I know the late 1980's era Ranger Handbook is still being sold as if it was the current edition, and many sites (globalsecurity) are woefully outdated on their material.