Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Help I'm Freezing!!

Someone please help I'm completely at a loss. I have a CM freezing problem. The game will start and work for a short period of time then freeze. A static or popping noise is also heard. I have a PII 233 (I know its old) and a Monster 3dII card. I have the latest driver for the card and Direct x 6. I had also tried direct x 8 with the same problem. The game has numberous times been reinstalled to no avail. Also the video driver has been reinstalled after directx installation and vice versa. This happens at 640x480 and 800x600. The game is tuned down to my system (sound, sparse trees, etc.) Also the game has ran well previously on my system. Now it locks up and I have to restart the computer. The version of the game is 1.12. Please help I need my CM fix.

Is this "static or popping" noise coming from your speakers or from the computer case itself ? If it is coming from the case, then you may have other hardware problems. Does this sound occur multiple times and then a lockup occurs or does it occur once and then you get a lockup ? If it occurs once, then there may be a defective component somewhere in your system that is overheating and possibly arcing.