CMMODS shutting down...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup... that's what it will come down to. But who's gonna send those DVDs to Germany and back again? ;P

But the Repository is a good start, so let's get to it! Do we try to upload every single one, or do we just upload those publically acclaimed to be the best? Do we try to contact the mod authors? And last, but not least: is there anybody at all that has every single mod stored somewhere?

Hey Earl Grey,

Germany is not that far away!

Well, there was a chap on the forums recently who claimed to have downloaded all the cmmods material and it took him weeks. And you are talking Gigabytes here! I have about 12 Gb of mods and that is only about 25% of what is on cmmods. Even my modest collection would amount to 16 CDs.

Probably the easiest way to get them back available again is to bundle them into series like "Terrain mods", "German tank mods", "MikeyD's mods" and then let individuals add the missing items.

Problems of copyright abound. Someone over at the Repository just got shouted at for posting a 'collection' of scenarios and has just withdrawn them. But all the material over at cmmods is 'free to use so long as you quote authors name'? I remember a lot of it was copied anyway from before the BIG CRASH.

The importance of what clubs there are for CM should be realised as it will form a safe environment/conduit for the saved works to be circulated. However modding is a minority sport so I cannot imagine any club wanting to make it a project when playing and organised tournaments have a far higher importance.

There is also quality control. From what I can make out there is no mechanism to stop people uploading mods even if they are not that good - or more likely later mods continually raise the bar. Saving all would be better scaled down to saving those that are highly downloaded already and new ones that are noticeably better.

Having several people in each country who hold the best works may help to avoid problems with posted DVD's.

The solution is relatively straightforward as Battlefront are offering to host them in the "Repository", the issues are:

1) How are the mods organised.

2) Who is going to upload the 60 Gb worth of mods on cmmods.com

My suggestion is that they are uploaded in groups, by country and type, with one or two top designers like MikeyD with their own set.

So That would give you:

German Tanks

German ACs, SPG and SPWs

MikeyD's mod set

Terrain and User Interface

each set would come with a text file listing the name of the mods (just as on the cmmods site) and then people would be able to add individual ones which were missing.

What do you think? Any volunteers?

Other issue is the copyright one as there is always someone who complains if the authors are not contacted, written authority given, blah, blah, blah. These files are almost all free to use and most contain a text file that has the authors details in them. So they should avoid this.

cheers

Many mods there have a license that doesn't allow you to transfer them to a new host without the author's permission.

I still think that making one multi-DVD snapshoot of the machine, the whole thing, and then mailing it around in a snowball system (every recipient must mail two copies to other people) is the way to go.

Very obviously nobody will be able to mirror the thing now, because a run's gonna start.

Gutting that after so many years away just as I get back into mods Cmods is closing. Tried to get on site but after login could get nowhere. Had a few whitewash mods done in 04 but not on my hardrive anymore. Bugger if I can't get back into cmmods, I'll not see them again. Feel rather sad.

Still have copies of all MD's CMBB grey panzers and stugs + most of his CMBB yellows, a few gaps in the yellow stug arsenal unfortunately.

Oh dear, got to go to work. Sad day.

Gutting that after so many years away just as I get back into mods Cmods is closing. Tried to get on site but after login could get nowhere. Had a few whitewash mods done in 04 but not on my hardrive anymore. Bugger if I can't get back into cmmods, I'll not see them again. Feel rather sad.

Still have copies of all MD's CMBB grey panzers and stugs + most of his CMBB yellows, a few gaps in the yellow stug arsenal unfortunately.

Oh dear, got to go to work. Sad day.

I've got your SPW Gelb WW mods if that's the ones you mean? Happily email them to you?

Cheers fur noo

George

Of course it'd be easiest if the modders themselves would upload their mods to the Repository, but that won't happen - some of those people I haven't seen in years, some still are around, but might not have gotten the word yet.

I'm all for getting a complete mirror and have it stored/uploaded somewhere else, but that needs to be coordinated, like Redwolf already pointed out. So, Redwolf, how do we go about it?

Of course it'd be easiest if the modders themselves would upload their mods to the Repository, but that won't happen - some of those people I haven't seen in years, some still are around, but might not have gotten the word yet.

I'm all for getting a complete mirror and have it stored/uploaded somewhere else, but that needs to be coordinated, like Redwolf already pointed out. So, Redwolf, how do we go about it?

I have once contacted the owner with the idea of making one set of disks and send it around. We told me to just download everything.

The problem here is that we do not have one plain list of mods. If we had we could just take the list, devide into a couple people and have a go.

But the way the UI is set up we need some help from the owner for a complete dump.

OK, to make it more clear.

What needs to be done:

0) select a group of people who will dump this thing, or just one person.

1) turn off regular access to CMMODs for everybody (so that the bandwidth is preserved for the dump).

2) make a new "secret" interface that allows the dumpers to quickly, with a commandline client with no cookies (just secret URL), download all mods, or the assigned chunk. This is easy to do with no programming work by just opening up the directory view in the http server.

3) once completed the dumpers join their parts and a snowball system for sending DVDs around starts with any or all of them.

IIRC we talk 60 GB here, which might cost something extra in bandwidth. I'm willing to pay the cash for that upfront and might beg for donations from the community later.

Sounds like a plan?

Waiting for a reply to my mail.

Basically I proposed the plan of one or few dedicated downloaders and offered to pay expenses.

It would be best if somebody had a machine that is hosted in the same datacenter. For that matter, why wouldn't I just take over the hosted machine right there? Hmmm...