Sahara, starring Humphrey Bogart -- CMAK scenario now playing at TSD

Sahara, starring Humphrey Bogart

Based on the 1943 movie “Sahara.”

A U.S. tank crew (M3 Grant) and their commander (Sgt. Joe Gunn, played by Humphrey Bogart) are separated from the main force as it is thrown into retreat. Alone, they make their way through the desert and accumulate an unlikely force of stragglers… an assortment of Commonwealth soldiers (a few Brits, an Australian, and a Free French soldier with the nickname “Frenchy”), a Sudanese soldier and his cooperative Italian prisoner. They even manage to shot down a German fighter and take the arrogant Nazi pilot prisoner.

Short on water, they make their way toward a known watering hole that turns out to be dry. With the Sudanese’s help, their only hope is to trek deeper into the desert to Bir Acroma, site of an ancient oasis with only a slight possibility that the well will still have water this time of year.

Also in search of water and following the tank’s tracks is an Afrika Korp infantry regiment led by Major von Schletow (really a reduced battalion in this scenario). At forlorn Bir Acroma, the gallant allies, one tank and less than 10 men, decide to make a stand and hope to delay the Germans until a dispatched soldier can return with reinforcements. Little do the Germans know but the allies are bluffing; the well at Bir Acroma offers little more than a trickle of water. Refusing Sgt. Gunn’s bargain to offer “water for guns,” von Schletow launches a series of frontal attacks.

This is a wartime Hollywood release, so you will have to suspend your disbelief. Why are American tank crews fighting in the Egyptian desert in June or July 1942 in the first place? (To “gain some experience” is how it is explained in the movie.) Why wouldn’t the Germans try to flank the allied position? Wouldn’t an infantry regiment have some artillery… at least more than a few light mortars?

So, be advised that is designed to play out like the movie. Therefore, note the “fictional” rating. This is purely “just for fun.” Enjoy.

For movie details, see Sahara (1943) on the International Movie Database web site (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036323/). This is a corny, wartime movie, but I still watch it when it pops up on TV from time-to-time. The movie is still widely available, so I won’t spoil the ending for you, but you can probably guess that Boggie and the Allies wins.

http://www.the-scenario-depot.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=1001

I did a Sahara battle myself, many moons ago. Did you factor in the effects of dehydration on the Axis attacker?

In my test battles, I was able to hold off the Germans, but sometimes it got close.

Playing as the Germans, it was pretty difficult to win but flanking was always the answer.

Also, did you notice in the movie that the Tank was firing all it's guns but everyone was out on the line in trenches and behind walls? Who was firing all the guns inside that tank?

Hee hee!

I did a Sahara battle myself, many moons ago. Did you factor in the effects of dehydration on the Axis attacker?

In my test battles, I was able to hold off the Germans, but sometimes it got close.

Playing as the Germans, it was pretty difficult to win but flanking was always the answer.

Also, did you notice in the movie that the Tank was firing all it's guns but everyone was out on the line in trenches and behind walls? Who was firing all the guns inside that tank?

Hee hee!

I was sure there had to be a long lost scenario out there somewhere... it lends itself to CM easily.

I did place a crater that represented the well, but I could not find the dehydration toggle. I tried to avoid letting the AI flank the position by creating some cliff terrain to funnel them toward the Allied position. Seems to work.

Yes, there is also a scene with the Germans running away during a failed attack and their are multiple similtaneous shell blasts in their ranks... that tank has a very quick rate of fire!