Cmc Canceled!!

Patrocles

Well, on the bright side it has been open sourced and as such has been released source forge, meaning you can go download it right now if you want. Including a new CMBB.EXE file that will interface with it! My feeling is that a thousand eyes looking at the source code will be the best thing that ever happened to CMC. This won't compensate Hunter and all the money and time he put into the project, but hopefully he'll find some satisfaction when he sees his project finished and realising the potential that he saw when he set out on it.

I think the most immediately valuable and useable piece of all this is the import/export feature added to CMBB. I can easily see the existing, long running campaigns out there taking this and writing quick and dirty interfaces to create battles and track OOB changes.

CMC as it was originally envisioned by Hunter may well and truly be too much for anyone to see to fruition, but that doesn't mean that there isn't immense value in the components that made up that vision that are probably already working well and just waiting for someone to pick up and assemble into something new.

I think the most immediately valuable and useable piece of all this is the import/export feature added to CMBB. I can easily see the existing, long running campaigns out there taking this and writing quick and dirty interfaces to create battles and track OOB changes.

CMC as it was originally envisioned by Hunter may well and truly be too much for anyone to see to fruition, but that doesn't mean that there isn't immense value in the components that made up that vision that are probably already working well and just waiting for someone to pick up and assemble into something new.

Sorry, but I estimate there's no way that the provided CMBB executable does not have showstopping bugs in that functionality.

Sorry, but I estimate there's no way that the provided CMBB executable does not have showstopping bugs in that functionality.

You really think so? If so, then there isn't much immediate worth in this release. However, I disagree with that opinion, since Charles and Co. have had this part of the project working for years now. I'm sure that any bugs in this part of the CMC system would have been found and corrected quite early in the process. Time will tell.

It's a durned shame that CMC was canceled -- I was really looking forward to it. But, I've discovered a love for CMSF in the meantime.

And kudos to BF for releasing the source code into the wild. I wonder what magic will come of it in a years' time of roaming free?

Stay tuned...

I´m still sad... :(

Lucky of you discovered a love for CMSF (I really don´t like at all... ;(

Anyway, as you said, I´ll stay tuned...