Important Announcement

Hunter

We would need to know Hunter's sourceforge account name. Right now I see that only you, Moon, are associated with the project. If Hunter were to create a sourceforge account and join the project then we could use it to donate some money to him.

Correct. Only, I'm not sure if Hunter is able and willing to do it. I am actually pretty sure he isn't. Not at the moment anyway. But I may be wrong. And it would still need programmers to do the job, not just Hunter. Do not underestimate the vast scope of the code base we're talking about here. The source code download is 1 GB!

PS. You cannot donate to my account either, as from what I understand that's an opt-in function and I have mine disabled, and it'll stay that way, too.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple documents in doc.rar dealing with the CMBB interface but they look like in infant stages.

I'll have to have a better look when I come home, but for now I think it's safe to assume that the OpenSource project can only result in the operational layer, without being able to use CMBB. It should be easily doable to interface to Panzer Command, though.

Correct. Only, I'm not sure if Hunter is able and willing to do it. I am actually pretty sure he isn't. Not at the moment anyway.

Of course. I understand the difficult decisions he's found himself having to make. He at least knows that there are people out there who "get it" and have no problem helping to keep the great karmic balance sheet in good order! :-)

Thanks for everything everyone has done so far with CMC. I agree that no doubt much good will come out of releasing the source code. If only I knew how to do that stuff! May the force be with those who are much smarter than I! I will be constantly tuned to the forum to see what progresses. In the meantime, set CMBB map to Huge and game type to Assault!

There seems to have been a bugzilla somewhere.

It would be great to get a save of the individual bug pages, or the mysql database for that matter.

I can't help but feel excessively pessimistic about the prospects of doing something with this. Remember the missing 1% was severe enough to give up for the guy who write the thing.

this is indeed sad news. like so many others, i've been anticipating this game from it's announcement. here's a poem that i think sums it up for hunter and his team. i applaud their time and effort but sometimes it can't be done:

They Said It Couldn't Be Done

They said it couldn't be done.

They laughed when I said I would do it.

They said that it couldn't be done.

I rolled up my sleeves and went to it.

I struggled, I strove, I strained.

I fought at it day and night.

They were right.

ps. that's not my poem, i just copied and pasted it from another website. just thought it was appropriate in this case...

can we atleast play / test cmc in the state its in. I downloaded the source but can't find an way to run cmc.

In a dos window,

python cmc.py

should do the trick. Still downloading the source so I don't actually know if cmc.py actually exists or not. I'm know python quite well, so I'll post if I find out.

In a dos window,

python cmc.py

should do the trick. Still downloading the source so I don't actually know if cmc.py actually exists or not. I'm know python quite well, so I'll post if I find out.

No such thing. It's very non-obvious what the top-level thing to call in there is.

Since we don't know the intended gameflow in first place I think we've got to wait for a beta tester to chime in or something.

They Said It Couldn't Be Done

They said it couldn't be done.

They laughed when I said I would do it.

I rolled up my sleeves and went to it.

I struggled, I strove, I strained.

I fought at it day and night.

They were right.

LOL! That sounds about right, yes :-)

Hunter,

Sad news indeed. It must have been horrible to keep trying to make it work and realizing it never would, and just not being able (or willing) to admit that letting go was your only solution. We thank you for your stubborness, as you clearly gave it all you had.

There is still hope yet that something will come of all your hard work.

Thanks again,

Heinrich505

I regret that I have had to cancel the development of Combat Mission Campaigns, at least in its present form, and possibly in any form...

Terrible, disappointing news to me, but I quite understand the sort of relief you describe, Hunter. Best of luck to you.

And I have to add, going open source with the whole project at this point has got to be one of the most astonishingly generous things I have ever seen. My hat is off to both Hunter and BFC. Thank you.

Hunter... thanks for officially pulling the plug on this. After so long and so much effort, it must have been difficult to say "enough!"

But now, life goes on. Congrats on getting this heavy load off your shoulders... you carried it so long. :)

I've opened this thread to request a better interface for CMx2 WWII:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=86360

If a lot of future customers are interested... may be, we will be lucky with the next attempt of CMC.

Careful, that is dangerous talk! Hmmm... wait a minute... if they start with a more modern version of CM it might just work. Taking CMX2 up a level to battalion and regiments? I like the sound of that. :eek::eek::D

Very sorry to hear about this. And it's a shame it took such a personal toll on Hunter. Thanks for letting me into the beta-test team all those months ago...it was frustrating, but you know, there were some very exciting moments in there when it felt close to prime time.

Just one technical question though...is there any place in the source code where the API for transferring between CMBB and CMC (or CMC2) is specified? Maybe in a code comment or some sort of text file that was received from Charles?

I don't really have the patience to work on a UI right now (especially not in a language I am unfamiliar with), but I am sorely tempted to see if anything can be done via simple XML transfers. That way, you could almost use a simple spreadsheet to drive a linked set of battles.

Perhaps... Hunter could set up a donation page where fans could donate for him to spend the time to document the source code properly, and conpensate him for his toils.

I see a lot of goodwill here to the effect that people are willing to chip in a few dollars just for the effort that has already gone in, and in the hope that something will some day come out.

So how about it hunter?

Very sorry to hear about this. And it's a shame it took such a personal toll on Hunter. Thanks for letting me into the beta-test team all those months ago...it was frustrating, but you know, there were some very exciting moments in there when it felt close to prime time.

Just one technical question though...is there any place in the source code where the API for transferring between CMBB and CMC (or CMC2) is specified? Maybe in a code comment or some sort of text file that was received from Charles?

I don't really have the patience to work on a UI right now (especially not in a language I am unfamiliar with), but I am sorely tempted to see if anything can be done via simple XML transfers. That way, you could almost use a simple spreadsheet to drive a linked set of battles.

Yes, the interface is specified in a text file and is implemented in the code in a fairly specific place. XML is a nice idea, but ultimately it is a very specific text file format that must be written to CMBB. Any misalignment of parameters (an extra byte or something) will muck it up.

Check out "Starting a CM Battle Mappings.doc" for an overview.