Jungle Fever (WIP)

I made this scenario to experiment with jungle warfare in CM:SF. You lead a battalion sized task force (2 mech. INF companies and 1 airborne company) to attack an enemy HQ in the jungle. Enemy defenses are heavily fortified and equiped with heavy MGs and GLs. The key to success is to surpress the enemy firing positions with artillery, while advancing.

There are two basic routes you can try to advance along, both featuring different challanges. It's a slow and brutal battle. Expect to take many casualties.

I tagged this as beta, because the briefing is really superficial and I'm not sure if the victory conditions will work as I want. So this scenario is not 100% polished yet. I'd appreciate your feedback.

I uploaded it at cmmods.com and here: http://lenny.liquid-skill.de/Jungle_Fever.zip

I like the idea of this one. I've just finished ThePhantom's USMC Clean Sweep, which is an excellent scenario set in a jungle landscape with a very Pacific WW2 feel. The game lends itself well to that kind of terrain, and it does have a very different feel to any other scenario I've played.

So stick with it, Afreu. It could be a great one.

Cabal23, I just played Clear And Present Danger, and loved it. Great map, very tense, some terrific battles. I have just one slight criticism, which is that I got an Uncon Surrender a little too easily. I had forty minutes to spare, and hadn't occupied the airstrip (would have been on it a minute later) and had just touched the perimeters of the coca fields. The fighting had been great up to that point (I'd installed AKD's sound mod, too, which is really cool!) - lots of searching out enemy positions, repulsing a major counterattack - and I was anticipating a very hard battle for the strip, but it didn't come.

One other point, which is about the Tac AI rather than the scenario: I encountered a lot of Uncon pickup trucks, but not a single one got a shot off. I destroyed them all relatively easily, even at fairly long distance. I think those gunners would have fought back at least a little - instead they were sitting ducks. So I'm wondering how Pickups are programmed to respond to threats, or whether they were very low quality troops who simply panicked at the first bullet?

Anyway, great fun, and I'd love to see more in a similar vein. Jungle style combat works really well in this game.

thx for the encouragement handihoc. I've just started reworking the whole concept and am designing a new map around it. It's a bit inspired by James Jones' "A Thin Red Line" and centers around the idea of how the Japanese defended pacific islands in WWII. The scenario will combine mountainous, densly vegetated terrain with a mean placement of enemy fortifications and hopefully will present a true challenge to you guys.

Might take some time until the whole thing is finished though, since I have a couple of deadlines coming up.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will have a hand at another jungle themed scenario. The trees do add another layer of chance. With the condition of South America right now and narco-terrorism, the door is wide open for possible scenarios in jungle environs. I do agree that Clear and Present danger was not hard enough.The US also get's a nice advantage crossing the river coming up a hill with low visibility on their side. I have played it PBEM and no matter how well the left flank is secured by the red forces in the trenches, they can't seem to spot Marines(just lots of question marks running through an empty area with no cover which my men obviously can't shoot worth a crap) running up a hill at them in the haze and the US can move right up on those trenches and decimate the enemy. I wanted to simulate a steamy jungle in the morning, so visibility would be cut. It makes the US too uber powerful in that particular scenario. So off to the drawing board for some narco-terrorist fun South of the Border.

thx for the encouragement handihoc. I've just started reworking the whole concept and am designing a new map around it. It's a bit inspired by James Jones' "A Thin Red Line" and centers around the idea of how the Japanese defended pacific islands in WWII. The scenario will combine mountainous, densly vegetated terrain with a mean placement of enemy fortifications and hopefully will present a true challenge to you guys.

Might take some time until the whole thing is finished though, since I have a couple of deadlines coming up.

Sounds awesome I can't wait. Great flick, I can see your vision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...