Mouse freezes in scenario selection.

I have an optical mouse with USB and it freezes out at the scenario selection screen. This is odd because I ran the game in this configuration for a while. I went through the standard mouse fixes and have checked to make sure all drivers are up to date. This happens with patched and unpatched versions. (I've posted on this very matter about two months ago and had no success, so I was hoping some new perspective on this problem might have been gained by players.)null

Thanks for responding. I'm using the Microsoft optical mouse driven by the USB socket on the keyboard and have switched around all the usual options settings on the control panel. Please recall that the issue continued with a vanilla mouse run through the PS2 port. The mouse works fine in EVERY other application and I am a geek-gamer so they are many. I'm using Direct X 8.0 (I think this is the latest one, it's the latest version, whatever it is.) I've changed the drivers on the soundcard, I've intalled it and uninstalled it about TWENTY-FIVE :mad: :mad: :mad: times, patched and unpatched. I appeal to the ether in the hopes that some wizened guru can end my quest. (I would never go through this sort of hair pulling but for the fact that this game is so outstanding.All the more frustrating because I got about a third of the way through the scenarios before this happened.)

What USB devices do you have on your computer ? What IRQ is your USB Bus using and what other devices in your system are using that IRQ ? When you tried out the PS/2 port mouse did you remove all other USB devices ?

There's nothing within CM that can be changed to alter the behavior of your mouse. There has to be something about your configuration that is causing the pausing and lockups within CM. What other programs do you have running in the background when you launch CM ?

I too have a Microsoft USB Optical mouse, and I am having the same problem. However I am using a laptop, and have the same problem even if I dont plug the mouse in and use the touchpad. The laptop is a Compaq Presario 1200. Pentium III 750. I have no idea if this thing even has a 3D driver, so I appologize for the lack of info there. I ran one scenario, and the thing locked up so completely that the power button wouldnt even shut the computer off. I ended up having to unplug the computer and pull the batteries out to get the thing to shut off. Dont know if you know my problem, but maybe it will help in troubleshooting the overall problem. As stated before, even if I never plug in the optical mouse, I still have problems with the touchpad not working correctly or at all.

Mad Marlin - you may want to turn off all power saving features of your laptop when you play CM (control panels and CMOS/BIOS setup). Go to Start Menu > then Settings > and then Control Panel >

Double-click on the Power Management icon >

On the Power Schemes tab > under the Power Schemes section > click on the down arrow to choose Always On > under the Settings for Always On Power Scheme section > use the Turn off monitor: and Turn off hard disks: drop down boxes to set the specific system time outs Never.

Does CM lockup at any particular point consistently (like pressing the "GO" button) ? Do you have any programs or utilities running in the background when you play CM ?

Which specific Compaq Presario 1200 do you have ? The Presario 1200 family uses different video chips, so you have to be specific as to which 1200 model it is (which can probably be found on the bottom of the laptop or possibly in one of the lower corners of the LCD bezel). What OS are you running Windows 98, ME or 2000 ? Was this the original OS that came with the laptop or have you upgraded your OS ? Do you have an external monitor plugged into your laptop or are you just using the LCD display ?

Make sure that your mouse 'pointer' scheme is set to None or windows default in the Mouse control panel

Schrullenhaft,

Thank you for you prompt reply. I was just adding my two cents to help troubleshoot the original posters problem. I feel the trouble is with my mouse because while I am trying to set up a random scenario, I have to click twice to get the game to respond. Example: if I click on fog of war, nothing will happen. If I click on anything else, then the game will "see" the first click and fog of war drop down menu will appear. The first click isnt activated until a second click is registered. I can only choose certain options in the drop down menus, the mouse goes scrolling off the screen randomly the one time I actually tried to play a game. If there is a known fix for this, great. If not, no worries. I am on deployment right now, and will just play it when I get back to CONUS next month. I do appreciate any help you might have tonight though since I am in Japan and we are sitting out a Typhoon with plenty of time on our hands smile.gif

Thanks again.

I failed to mention that my power scheme and mouse pointer scheme were both already set to the options you suggested. I am embarrassed to say I cannot determine what kind of video card this thing has. I have looked under system manager, and nothing is listed under video card. I am guessing this is normal with laptops.

As I said above, if you know of the cure great, if not; no worries.

When I was in the Corps we had an earthquake and a typhoon within the six months I was in Japan. I even went outside when the eye of the storm was passing at its closest just to see how fast the wind was actually blowing (stupid, but still fun). The storm did a few million dollars damage to the American military facilities in the area.

Go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > click on the Display "+" sign and see what is listed underneath. Hopefully it will give you some sort of accurate description of the video card. It may be an ATI or a Trident Cyberblade (or maybe even something else). If you can find the exact model of your Compaq Presario 1200 you can download the latest drivers from Compaq's website. Most likely the exact model number will be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop (possibly near a barcode). Compaq's website will list the correct drivers according to the model you have.

The problem that you describe may be video related rather than strictly mouse related. The video and mouse driver interaction may not be working very well and an update to one or both drivers may be necessary to fix this behavior (if it has been fixed in the drivers yet).

If there is no update to the mouse drivers (or none of the driver fixes, if available, fix the problem) then possibly uninstalling the Touchpad drivers may help. However you may lose certain functions/settings for your touchpad by removing them. You'll probably want to find an uninstaller first (the Add/Remove Programs control panel) and then remove the device in the Device Manager after that you would have to delete the .INF in the C:\WINDOWS\INF\OTHER directory (you'll possibly have to look through each of the .INF files to find the appropriate one for your touchpad). Without the requisite INF file Windows will hopefully detect your touchpad as a PS/2 mouse and proceed to install the generic Microsoft PS/2 port mouse driver.

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Schul,

You are correct that it is a video problem. When I set the game up for software driven 3D, it runs fine though only in 640x480 display. This is obviously better than nothing smile.gif I spent a few hours downloading the new video driver from Compaq (nothing like dial up service in Iwakuni) and while the version is supposedly newer than the one I already have, when I run the self-extracting update, the video driver version is the same as before. I am not sure if I already had the latest driver, and perhaps the version number doesnt match what the Compaq support page states; or the self-extracting tool has a glitch and is not running correctly. When it is extracting everything runs smoothly however when it gets to the part where it shows the percentage complete (files updated) it zips through it with lightning speed. I am not sure if this is because the PIII is just that fast, or no files are actually being updated.

Anyway I will continue to press in the low graphics state. Thank you for your help in fixing my problems.

MM

P.S. I got my Earthquake X on our first month here. 6.3 located about twenty miles to the southeast, so it was a good one smile.gif

Does the self-extractor automatically run the driver installation or does it uncompress the files to a particular directory ? If it is the latter does it only have .CAB files or some other large compressed files or can you find .VXD and .DRV files in the directory. If the latter than right click on some of the .VXD or .DRV files and go to the Properties menu item. Next click on the Version tab and then compare this to the file listing in the Device Manager's listing for the driver files (Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > Display item > Properties button (when display adapter is highlighted) > Drivers tab > Driver File Details button). The VDD.VXD file will be part of your specific version of Windows and isn't typically provided with the display driver (so you can ignore it). If anything is different (preferably newer) then this should be an update to apply. If your system isn't taking the installation you may have to go through removing the display driver (and going back to SVGA temporarily) and then installing the latest update from Compaq. But first verify that there are actually newer/different files in the update before proceeding down this route.

So how long are you in Iwakuni for ? 6 months or two years (or whatever they have now) ? I was at Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii when there were still fixed-wing aircraft there. One of our squadrons (VMFA-212, 232 or 235) is stationed in Iwakuni now.

Well I guess we hijacked this thread from xpublius. Has any of the suggestions here helped you yet Xpub or are you still having problems with your mouse ?

All of the .cab, .drv, and whatever the other file type is that apply to my display are the same date as the current driver. i.e. I have no newer files on my hardrive. It okay, I have spent about five hours messing with this and only about one playing the game! Low res is good enough for me and I am going to concentrate more on maximizing my time available playing the game vice working on it smile.gif Thank you again for your help! You seem to be quite knowledgable on computer compatability issues (from this and other threads).

I am in VMFA (AW)- 242, the Bats. Were out of Miramar and just over here for a 6 month UDP. Our skipper is LtCol Morrison who was stationed in Hawaii when they had F-4's there, not sure if thats the same time frame your talking about. Its been interesting over here, but I am ready to get back home!

I am guessing that you worked with G-6 smile.gif

Thanks again for all your help!

Well I guess we hijacked this thread from xpublius. Has any of the suggestions here helped you yet Xpub or are you still having problems with your mouse ?

I am loath to ever want to restrict traffic on a forum; asctually I was sort of enjoying the digression. I still am all locked up with nowhere to go. Thanks for asking.

xpublius - When you're using the PS/2 mouse do you still have the USB mouse plugged in ? Have you tried the USB mouse in the computer's USB port rather than the keyboard's ? At the beginning of this thread you mentioned that this problem was recent and alluded to the fact that CM and your mouse were fine earlier. Has anything changed (hardware, newer drivers, etc.) about your system that you could possibly tie to the time your mouse problems started ?

I DID run the game without incident for about two months and believe that this might be caused by a conflict with some other piece of software but have been unable to trace back to the offending bit. I've changed drivers several times, sound drivers, versions of Direct X, ect. and have had no luck. I have used the regular Microsoft mnouse in the little PS 2 port with the optical mouse unplugged with no success. I'm going away on vacation so please do not interpret this as my losing interest with your support. Thanks.