Could this be the first pic of CMx2 WWII ? [Edit] Yes!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something wrong with the Tiger. It has its travel tracks on and not the wider combat tracks, allowing its transport on a railway flatcar, without getting outside of the width limit.

That is why, the outer rim wheels are removed and it looks like it is a version, beginning from late 1944, with metallic band wheels replacing rubber, if my eyes aren't fooling me.

It is nevertheless well done and I am impatient to see the game release.

Those look nothing like the transport tracks to me. Note the overhang of the track and the width from the edge of the drive sprocket.

Compare to this photo:

http://www.alanhamby.com/Gallery/latewheels2.jpg

latewheels2.jpg

On this page: http://www.alanhamby.com/suspension.shtml

Also note:

Because these steel wheels could handle heavier loads than the earlier rubber-tired versions, the outer row of wheels was left off, resulting in 2 wheels per axle or 16 per side.

In short - there is nothing "wrong" with the tracks or suspension in these screenshots. Correct combat tracks, correct wheels. So nice that the misinformed pissing and moaning has started early, though. :) Bet they can't wait to release the next screenshots...

Were there actually any Tigers in the American sector of Normandy?

Not for a long while. However, it looks like BFC have played a blinder here and the first outing for ww2 cm-2 will be the Brits, look at that grass, no sign of the Bocage at all.

Hopefully we can see the Firefly soon.

Those look nothing like the transport tracks to me. Note the overhang of the track and the width from the edge of the drive sprocket.

Compare to this photo:

On this page: http://www.alanhamby.com/suspension.shtmlQUOTE]

Thanks a lot for putting me back on the right track. The link is pretty good, brought back memories about the Tiger, that I had left unfortunately for some time in a cage. That explain my wrong analysis of the shot.

Check mate

Cheer

I miss ATGs. It'll be so nice when combined arms doesn't mean "go get the javelin.".

Not for a long while. However, it looks like BFC have played a blinder here and the first outing for ww2 cm-2 will be the Brits, look at that grass, no sign of the Bocage at all.

Hopefully we can see the Firefly soon.

Unfortunately not.

Now all we need is 3d glasses so the rounds look like they're coming out of the screen!

The first 22'' 3D monitor now cost only $399... in one or two years it will be cheap enought to see 3D displays for games, as a normal peripherical.

I post several interesting links about this technology:

22" iZ3D 3D monitor

22" iZ3D is an advanced video monitor capable of displaying impressive into-screen and out-of-screen 3D images with passive polarized glasses... it cost $399 and have support for 100 games.

GeForce® 3D Stereo technology

With the latest GeForce 8 series GPUs, and a 3D LCD monitor (Zalman 19'' ZM-M190, Zalman 22'' ZM-M220W) you are ready to support 350 games.

ViewSonic 22'' VX2265wm ultra-fast refresh 120Hz 3D LCD

This is may be one of the best 3D LCD monitors that support the GeForce® 3D Stereo technology, as was reviewed after the Nvision 2008.

StereoMirror from Planar3D

This is another proposal, not for the gaming industry, but for the professional market.

The interesting thing is that they have already a Free Evaluation Promo of Your Display Project.

A Quick Guide to 3D Displays

This article is a short review in two pages of the manufacturers of 3D displays present in Nvision 2008.

Another article:

NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Review - 3D Glasses for the Masses

LG joins to the 3D display technology for 2009.

http://www.t3.com/news/lg-3d-tvs-will-be-here-in-2009?=37380

Seems that "soon" every manufacturer will support this tech.

The best thing of some of the new 3D monitor technologies, is that you doesn't need to wear glasses!!!. :)

Alioscopy’s product is unique in the sense that it does not require glasses to view the view the image in 3D. Its ‘autostereoscopic’ hardware works by utilising a lenticular lens placed over a regular LCD panel. Although it may sound exotic, lenticular lenses are something that you may have seen before in postcards or toys, where you can see a different image, or different version of the same image when you tilt the picture from left to right. The lenticular lens used in the 1080p 3DHD-40 display utilises eight different shots of an image. According to Alioscopy, ‘it’s simply the number that works best’. Although the display has to be viewed from a 45 degree angle from the centre of the screen, the distance a viewer stands from the display is irrelevant meaning than many people can enjoy the display in all its 3D glory without worrying about looking like a plum wearing dodgy shades. It was impressive to see a 3D monitor in action without needing eyewear

http://www.alioscopy.com/

Play Station 3 also joins to the 3D gaming revolution this year...

PS3 may feature stereoscopic 3D in 2009

Sony "fully intends" to move forward with support for stereoscopic 3D gaming on the PS3

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/19/ps3-may-feature-stereoscopic-3d-in-2009

I miss ATGs. It'll be so nice when combined arms doesn't mean "go get the javelin.".

Unfortunately not.

Of course not, but I suppose all the sexy German big Cats is what you have to advertise nowadays to get guys to buy the game. SO Im sure we will be seeing more Tigers in Normandy screenshots, together with those pesky SS that faced the US units in their murderous droves.

Indeed, one thinks that the game will again emphasise how only the US fought the SS and every PzIV was really a Tiger. Heck, if it sells games though does it matter if history gets a bit skewed in the process?

Of course not, but I suppose all the sexy German big Cats is what you have to advertise nowadays to get guys to buy the game. SO Im sure we will be seeing more Tigers in Normandy screenshots, together with those pesky SS that faced the US units in their murderous droves.

Indeed, one thinks that the game will again emphasise how only the US fought the SS and every PzIV was really a Tiger. Heck, if it sells games though does it matter if history gets a bit skewed in the process?

Is this your experience with BFC scenario design?

Would you prefer the game to have no Tigers at all?

Best regards,

Thomm

GSX,

Of course not, but I suppose all the sexy German big Cats is what you have to advertise nowadays to get guys to buy the game.

I've got news for you... the "sexy German big Cats" have ALWAYS been what sells WW2 games from this era. Look at the cover of A-H's "Panzer Leader" for example. Since this is what people expect, we're just going with the flow :D

sigh... one screenshot and this is all the thanks we get ;) Sheesh... might as well have shown a blank map and have you conclude that there would be no forces in the game at all, just nice terrain.

Steve

Thomm,

Would you prefer the game to have no Tigers at all?

I think he would, even though it would be historically inaccurate and would result in numerous death threats against us for "robbing gamers".

Let's face facts... Tiger = sexy screenshots. When looking to promote a game, one should go with what is sexy. And why not? Last time I checked no serious gamer believes promotional stuff represents the game itself. If GSX wants to make his own WW2 game and use a M5 Stuart for the first of many screenshots, he's welcome to do that ;)

More screenshots will come out in the near future. We've not concentrated on the textures yet so pretty much everything in the game right now is gray mockup textures. We haven't really done much of anything to the terrain yet so we can't show that stuff for now either.

Steve

If GSX wants to make his own WW2 game and use a M5 Stuart for the first of many screenshots, he's welcome to do that ;)

I'd go for a game that featured bicycle troops. As long as the troops were female and nude. But then, I'd a dirty old man. Very dirty. Filthy, in fact.

:D

Michael

The screenshot is interessting - really. Becaus at least for me it creates a feeling again, i never had with CMSF, but that was there with CMx1. I think that's a good sign for the sales of the upcoming WWII title.

The best thing of some of the new 3D monitor technologies, is that you doesn't need to wear glasses!!!. :)

I think the technology with polarized glasses is more robust.

But what could be interessting for BFC: offering a bundle for real CM-fans - a special edition CM:Normandy-3D with polarized glasses, that look like goggles. :)

I submit: The Tiger in the screenshot looks like it's fitted with transport tracks because (I'm guessing) the screenshot was taken in "wide" mode (as opposed to "x1.0" like in CMSF), so the sense of depth seems skewed.

Since the impression I'm getting is that CM:Normandy will be more or less US Army versus Heer, I'll add my $0.0002 (adjusted for inflation :D) -- even if historically there were no Tigers (or Panthers) facing the US forces in Normandy and were thus noted included in CM:Normandy, there would still be German armor (i.e. Pz IVJ) that could give any half a dozen Shermans a run for their money; said armor just wouldn't necessarily be able to face half a dozen Shermans at a time and run little risk of getting knocked out in the process.

Which US tanks from CMBO will be in? M36 Jackson was the only capable of defeating the tiger front armor. Not sure when it was introduced and if it fits the normandy time frame. I think 76 Sherman and M10/M18s will be fine. With panthers and tigers in, maybe US will need borrowing some IEDs or RPGs from CMSF's Syrians :D

The M36 wasn't deployed to the ETO until September 1944. The M10 and M18 were somewhat limited in their effectiveness against Panthers and Tigers because of the inconsistent performance of the 76mm gun they were armed with. As often as not, the M10 was used more in the role of infantry support (not unlike the German StuG) than in the tank-destroyer role it was designed for.