KISS - keep it simple ...

Strider53

I urge the developers to resist the tempation to add layer after layer of complexity to this exiting new game. Simple is the way to go (not simplistic). Easy to play, fast and not too much of a resource pig. Put a lot of effort into the single player mode - make it fun and easy to play. That's what makes a enduring game. I own Supreme Commander, but I don't play it - too long, too complicated and takes too much time to master and play. World In Conflict is better and C&C is good, but what I keep turning back to, over and over, is EDEE (Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition) - for a fun, quick diversion over lunch or a hour here or there. A lot of gamers like myself are no longer the teenaged obsessive gamers we used to be (no insult intended, but my son is just past the teenage period, so I know!). EoS needs to be the successor to EDEE and stay fun, fast and easy to play both single-player and online. Beware of those demanding more and more complexity be added to this game. That just doesn't work anymore.

(nod) Yeah, I started out with a vision to create a good, simple game (but not too simple). I've already added more complexity to it than I had originally intended, so I'm not eager to add more to it. If I were to add freighters back into the mix, I would be careful not to add obligations to the player. (For example, I could have freighters automatically do their own thing. I wouldn't want to burden the player with the need to build freighters, give them orders, setup supply routes, or stuff like that.)

Brit, I think us Empire Deluxe players would appreciate it if you made your complexities optional. This looks like a very good game (wego empire, what a concept) but the ability to keep things like diplomacy and resources out could be a make or break.

Strider, I agree 100% on keeping things simple. That's why I made mods for EDEE. They are at the EDEE Yahoo Mod Forum if you're interested. SoloQM is the latest and greatest.

(nod) Yeah, I started out with a vision to create a good, simple game (but not too simple). I've already added more complexity to it than I had originally intended, so I'm not eager to add more to it. If I were to add freighters back into the mix, I would be careful not to add obligations to the player. (For example, I could have freighters automatically do their own thing. I wouldn't want to burden the player with the need to build freighters, give them orders, setup supply routes, or stuff like that.)

Its obvious that I misunderstood which level of complexity you

aimed for.

(I thought it was at least Civ 3 level.)

Anyway I wish you good luck with your project.

Good bye.

Best Regards

Rocoteh

Civ3 complexity - I am a little concerned as to whether Civ3 is truly complex or just very longwinded. CMAk etc I regard as truly complex as there are lots of possibilities and terrain, hundreds of vehicles, unlimited terrain ...... that all adds to gameplay and activity for the brain.

I have only been playing Civ3 for say 4 months and though it has some smart ideas it also has some pretty bogus ones. A lot of the time it is the same mechanics applied again and again over the odd thousands of years. It may be better if the Wonders are removed and the units and race characteristics are not allocated. I see there are some very interesting scenarios designed for it which may be better than the game.

Laughably I can build an important Ancient Wonder - alone on my island and be told someone else has built it. The fun thing is I have never met any other race, and why can there only be one anyway. Bizarre logic.

Lastly it seems a poor multiplayer game. Last Friday I got a flyer with a great starting position and was top of the heap easy, my friend started in jungle and marsh and was bounced by the Portugese on turn 3. Not much fun for him.

If I were to add freighters back into the mix, I would be careful not to add obligations to the player
Actually the trade model used by Civ4 is as simple as it gets, and same model could be used as supply i EoS. Basically, a unit is supplied if you can trace an unbroken line between it and a supply center (by land or sea). If you want to cut supplylines, simply cut the line with a blockade of land or naval units.