Getting the hang of map editor(sort of)

I'd suggest adding a few more trees & putting some grey rocky ground around the snowcaps, AFAIK you don't often see fields transitioning directly to snow on mountains.

Put some bushes around the bases of the trees & varythe sizes for a more natural look

No I dont have any of those programs just the stock map editor & Im probably not using it correctly! Also I would like to put more trees but I am currently at 1000 limit if I am understanding correctly that is suggested limit. The far tree wont sit on steep angles well; they tend to hang in the air!

Don't want to hijack Cpl.Uphams thread but it seems pointless starting a new one and I was wondering if it is possible to open the maintex files from all the maps. I've tried with Photoshop 7 and Gimp but it seems that only some of the maps maintex files can be opened. ( Get an error message on the rest.)

I extracted the maps using Dr.Jones extractor and maps like the Clear Summer Map I can open the maintex with photoshop but when I try to open the maintex file in maps like Arras or Falaise I get this message...

Could not open "C:/Documents and Settings/User/Desktop/MainTex.tga" because the file-format module cannot parse the file.

I extracted the maps using Dr.Jones extractor and maps like the Clear Summer Map I can open the maintex with photoshop but when I try to open the maintex file in maps like Arras or Falaise I get this message...

Could not open "C:/Documents and Settings/User/Desktop/MainTex.tga" because the file-format module cannot parse the file.

use IMFViewer.exe

Think its referred to as Dr jones IMF viewer. Open the MaintexTGA file Load and Save as a TGA. (its not really in TGA format right now thats why the error)

this exe program has to be in the mission editor folder to work. you can pick up the Dr jones imf viewer on the CMods site.

Wow! You guys are so far over my head with this stuff! I just thought it would be fun to do some more moody maps like a destroyed city or muddy no mans land etc but it all becomes so technical! I would like to make some barren burnt trees and knocked over trees and some bomb craters but I havent managed much of anything yet! It all leads to so much frustration! Ill go lick my wounds for awile but I will come back & experiment again because I just like to create!

Wow! You guys are so far over my head with this stuff! I just thought it would be fun to do some more moody maps like a destroyed city or muddy no mans land etc but it all becomes so technical! I would like to make some barren burnt trees and knocked over trees and some bomb craters but I havent managed much of anything yet! It all leads to so much frustration! Ill go lick my wounds for awile but I will come back & experiment again because I just like to create!

We were all there guy. (listen to me I'm mister one map wonder:D) Its just a few tools are required because the data is hidden.

Im glad somebody else mentioned dead or exfoliated trees. Maybe a modeler will put aside his next AFV project;) and create a couple burnt, or dead tree objects. Much needed for maps IMO.

• 6 months later...

I'm working on a custom map for TOW2, and I understand the only way to edit the maintex.tga file is with a utility called Dr. Jones IMF viewer. I tried various download links on these and other forums, but not one them exist anymore. The utility was once on the CMMODS site, but that site is extinct now. Any idea where one can get this very valuable tool?