Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Highly unusual iMac PBEM load glitch

I have never had this problem before on my iMac (233 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 2 MB VRAM on ATI Rage Pro, OS 8.6; Netscape 4.5.1).

The problem is that everything works fine until I attempt to load the selected PBEM turn by hitting Choose. The only thing that happens then is I get that bonk tone. There is no error message. Nor will the turn load. I can back up and exit the game freely.

Historically, PBEM for me has been either or. Either CM will open and load properly while Netscape's running or I'll have to reboot the computer and play CM without the browser running. Occasionally, I'll get farther into the game start process before discovering I have to reboot, but I've never had the game fail to run once I got it to the point where I was ready to load the latest turn and play.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this should just start happening out of the blue? The computer works fine, as does my Internet hookup. I'll try another reboot, but I can think of no reason why it wouldn't work, and if it's malfunctioning, why I wouldn't get at least an error message. CM Version 1.12.

Thanks for any and all help.

Sincerely,

John Kettler

How are you getting your PBEM turns ? Is your opponent just sending the 'raw' turn file to you and you're opening it with Netscape's email client or is this a zipped file ?

I haven't run into the "bonk" tone much, but it seems to suggest that there is a problem with the PBEM file itself (which may not give you an error message). You may want to have your opponent resend the file.