Well, they released it.

Arisaka99

Yup, not interested at all! Two mini campaigns and some maps for $25 is stretching it a bit. I was hoping for some fixes, additional modelled content or much longer campaigns of around 10 missions. With the $ exchange rate as bad as it is here in the UK at the moment I won't be buying this addon.

at Battlefront.com

25 USD (19 EUR) for the TOW MP1

45 USD (34 EUR) for TOW + MP1

at my local game store in Italy

for 15 EUR they sell retail version of TOW with uber patch included.

why is battlefront.com so expensive?

10 EUR for a (small) Mission pack should be the top limit IMHO

I'm playing the uchronic campaign for free..

why is battlefront.com so expensive?

The question should be: why is retail so cheap? One of the reasons why Battlefront was founded (10 years ago by the way, an anniversary!) was because retail does not care what a game is worth, but only cares about how quickly they can move stock. This leads to new releases being priced down and landing in the budget bin within (literally) weeks after release. The situation hasn't changed one bit from what it was in 1999, except that now even Triple AAA big budget games are affected.

It's one of the reasons why we have always been reluctant to do much with retail and instead focus on internet releases. There are some notable exceptions, most of which (like with TOW) only happened after the game was a few months old already. The current state of retail distribution means that you will probably see even fewer games from us in retail in the future.

We price our games absolutely fairly for what you get. I only need to take a quick look around some other sites (without naming names) to see that this is the case.

As for the Mission Pack - well, we're publishing what the developer is developing :) Having said that, don't let the description fool you: the missions in the Mission Pack are very long, generally bigger than those in the base game, and quite challenging. The fact that people who were not able to download the Über patch due to the sheer size and that they can now buy it on CD is a little bonus.

Anyway, of course the choice is yours to purchase this or not. We are happy and proud to be able to offer a full featured editor with the base game so that anybody can make their own campaigns and missions, and I don't see how this diminishes the value of an "official" Mission Pack.

The main reason for releasing this is because a) it's available by 1C and B) consider it an appetizer to hold you over until the release of TOW2 later this quarter. It also allows new customers to purchase an up-to-date bundle (including Über patch) via the mail delivery option.

Martin

I understand Moon reply.

My comparison of retail prices with download prices has been probably unfair.

..after all, I might end up buying the Mission pack anyway being a proud owner of almost all Battlefront products.

But I still think that a 25USD small mission pack for a 45USD game is simply overpriced.

..ANYWAY.. good to know developers are still working on TOW. I love the game.

In response to Moon I used to believe that a higher price meant higher gameplay etc. But with the very good games being released at the moment (Empire: Total War) being one, I don't really care as its made by the same people and just sold by different retailers, and here in the UK I trust the companies I buy from and I get stuff for a lower price and with brilliant customer service as well. One example was Fallout 3 I bought it from (better not say or you'll get rid of it) and I got it one day BEFORE it was supposed to be released over here. I got my ToW DVD 3 months after it was released. (I pre-ordered).

I know you're small etc but still... Maybe it is because its not YOUR game so you don't have any responsibility (which you have made clear plenty of times) I just hope you don't put as much work into ToW because all you care is the money for publishing it. Not that much work is it. (You will say differently though). Well I for one will not buy this or ToW 2 after my experiences with my pre-order of ToW and I hope you try to PUBLISH things a little better. Developing you are good at. Publishing ... well not so great.

Yours Sincerely,

crazyman56

It would have been nice if there were some new functionality, static objects or additions vechicles & units. Light mortars, grenade launchers & bayonets come to mind most. But I digress..........

We get 12 new maps but you don't say how many missions in each campaign?

Ok, having said that this mp is too expensive, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't 'come clean' and admit that I have just bought it! Two reasons. Firstly, I have just got back to playing TOW again, and am really enjoying it, (especially the excellent Uchronic campaign). And secondly, neither BFC or IC can be blamed for the collapse of sterling. If this had come out less than a year ago, then it would have cost me c.£12, or roughly half of what it actually has..

A quick look at both campaigns suggests that if you can afford it, it might be too soon to rule out buying it completely.

What's really funny from my standpoint is that I bought TOW pretty much on the gargantuan effort from 1C to finally get this code published in some form. Then I crossed my fingers and hoped I would enjoy it. I don't regret the purchase, although the game is no longer on my hard drive. I did enjoy tinkering with it, but was ultimately disappointed with the lack of development of the infantry portion of the game. Max unit numbers was also a bit of a letdown, especially considering map sizes are quite good, but a waste without the ability to adequately populate them.

Now, if this "campaign expansion and map pack" had actually been a rework of the infantry model and also incorporated the building entry coding, I probably would have happily plunked down the extra 25 bucks to see what effect that would have had on the existing scenarios and such. Not really interesting in an all-armor WWII game, and only that portion of the game really has a satisfying feel to it.

The other alternative now will be to put another twenty spot with the price of the campaign pack and purchase TOW2 - A more refined but smaller scope game which has improvements but makes me relinquish any benefit from already owning TOW1. For now my plan is to check out TOW2 demo....If the gameplay is much improved over the original I may pick it up...if not I'll probably just take a pass and wait for CMSF Normandy to materialize.

I don't mind to pay 25$ for an extention, but for me, it includes maps, missions, new units and some improvements of the game (not entering building, as I believe it is a major change of the game, but small things like mortar...).

So I am little disapointed...

I think there will be no translation (in french for my part) ?

What's really funny from my standpoint is that I bought TOW pretty much on the gargantuan effort from 1C to finally get this code published in some form. Then I crossed my fingers and hoped I would enjoy it. I don't regret the purchase, although the game is no longer on my hard drive. I did enjoy tinkering with it, but was ultimately disappointed with the lack of development of the infantry portion of the game. Max unit numbers was also a bit of a letdown, especially considering map sizes are quite good, but a waste without the ability to adequately populate them.

Now, if this "campaign expansion and map pack" had actually been a rework of the infantry model and also incorporated the building entry coding, I probably would have happily plunked down the extra 25 bucks to see what effect that would have had on the existing scenarios and such. Not really interesting in an all-armor WWII game, and only that portion of the game really has a satisfying feel to it.

The other alternative now will be to put another twenty spot with the price of the campaign pack and purchase TOW2 - A more refined but smaller scope game which has improvements but makes me relinquish any benefit from already owning TOW1. For now my plan is to check out TOW2 demo....If the gameplay is much improved over the original I may pick it up...if not I'll probably just take a pass and wait for CMSF Normandy to materialize.

Probably TOW2 is more for you than the Mission Pack. BTW, we plan on offering TOW2 at a reduced price for customers who purchased TOW1 from us directly by the way, as a Thank You for the community feedback which actually went into the sequel. (We would do this for all customers, including retail, but there is no way for us to prove the purchase except for games bought directly from BFC).

crazyman56:

One example was Fallout 3 I bought it from (better not say or you'll get rid of it) and I got it one day BEFORE it was supposed to be released over here. I got my ToW DVD 3 months after it was released. (I pre-ordered).

You're comparing apples and oranges.We open games for pre-order shortly before they go into production/printing, and release a game for download as soon as it's available, which is before physical stock is available.

Production can take 4-6 weeks usually, depending on the quantity produced. Since you're in the UK, you need to add a couple of weeks for product in transit from the US to the UK warehouse (by now we're actually producing most goods in Europe which cuts down on this time).

We can send you your game to arrive one day before the official release date no problem: we only need to delay the download release by a couple of months. Do you really prefer that? I would think that most people prefer to be able to download right away and wait for the hardcopy, though :)

all you care is the money for publishing it. Not that much work is it. (You will say differently though).

You have no idea what you're talking about :)

Ok, having said that this mp is too expensive, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't 'come clean' and admit that I have just bought it! Two reasons. Firstly, I have just got back to playing TOW again, and am really enjoying it, (especially the excellent Uchronic campaign). And secondly, neither BFC or IC can be blamed for the collapse of sterling. If this had come out less than a year ago, then it would have cost me c.£12, or roughly half of what it actually has..

A quick look at both campaigns suggests that if you can afford it, it might be too soon to rule out buying it completely.

No need to justify the purchase. Everyone has to make this decision himself. Looking at how quickly the MP is selling right now it seems that a decent number of people is figuring for themselves that $25 for a few dozen hours of enjoyment (not counting replaying the missions) - and the ability to have a backup copy of he Über-patch on disc - is a pretty good deal.

hey guys,

you probably know that i have in the past been a big bitcher on the forums about ToW, but i have started to play again and also bought the new add on, and must say its worth it.

shortcomings are present in every game out there and i have yet to find one (well FallOut3 is pretty close) that does not.

anywho, slime, slime...i like it!

immer weiter,

himmelstoss