2 questions and a comment

jimll565

I just ogt ToW and really want to make some missions for my friends and Iso I have a couple of questions.

Questions

1) With the builder can I only modify existing maps, or can I create my own from scratch?

2) I edited an existing map now how do I load it into the mission Maker, with out loading a previous mission? I other words I want to make a mission from scratch I would think the frist step is to load a map but I can figure out how.

Comment

This game is hard as hell and I love it! :D

Thanks for any help!

If you want to modify a map, copy the content of a map in the directory /maps to an other name, load your new map it in the Map Editor and start editing it.

To create a mission for this new map, load the map in the ToW Battle Generator and start setting the mission up.

For further refining the mission, load the mission you created in ToW Battle Generator in the Mission-Campaign Editor and modify anything you want.

-Knokke

Well it works now but I have another question...or 2.

First I wanted to modify the Cherbourg map but when I went to the /map folder there wasn't a Cherbourg map in there. I just got the basic maps, clear summer clear winter, clear fall and so on. Not that that was a totally bad thing it gave me a blank canvas to work with, but does lead me to my second question.

Roads, I read the directions in the guide that comes with the Uber patch, but I can get it to work. I pull up the roads tool I hit alt+left mouse button (or is it right I can't remember) to place a point then move to the next point and hit alt left mouse again. Problem is no points appear and the road doesn't draw. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your answers and you patients.

It may be worth your while to download the TOWextractor from CMODs. All map files (all data files too) are unaccessable in the game. You need the extractor But if you extract the map you want, you can rename the folder and play with it.

In some ways redoing an existing map is easier especially if you want to access the water table.

It may be worth your while to download the TOWextractor from CMODs. All map files (all data files too) are unaccessable in the game. You need the extractor But if you extract the map you want, you can rename the folder and play with it.

In some ways redoing an existing map is easier especially if you want to access the water table.

That's where you use the terrain plane tool set to the maximum size! :)

That's where you use the terrain plane tool set to the maximum size! :)

Thats great if you want to make waterworld. But there's no way you can make the whole map a foot above water on a plain, then depress very very small elevations for ditches and streams.

Anyways jim had a good question about the roads, that I have trouble with too.

Jim,

Here's how you do it in a nutshell:-

Copy a clean map to "mymap". Google Earth is you friend for making maps. Get the resolution to make a 4km x 4km square fill the screen & take a screen shot. Paste that into a image editor & Cut the square out & past as new image. Resize image to 1024x1024 pixels & save as farmaintex.tga. Increase GE to 2km x 2km & repeat cut paste etc, resize to 2048x2048 pixels & save as maintex.tga. Then resize maintex to 512x512 pixels & save as minimap.tga.

Open "mymap" in map editor & you're ready to start sculpting the landscape, adding roads, renders, buildings/statics & finally trees & bushes. I recommend doing it in that order from painful experience, do trees last!

Thats great if you want to make waterworld. But there's no way you can make the whole map a foot above water on a plain, then depress very very small elevations for ditches and streams.

Anyways jim had a good question about the roads, that I have trouble with too.

Nikki,

You missunderestimate ;) me! I should have said set the terrain plane to about 1-2m above the water table & level the map. Then you can cut your ditches & streams with the terrain brush tool. As you can see here (the water is about 1m deep here):-

f_eaglestcomem_a57ca5f.jpg

Regarding roads, add the waypoints with CTRL <left click> not ALT. You need to set up all the stuff in advanced & often need to widen the road to 5~10m & set the number of layers to 4 to get a result. Also reducing the opacity of the road ends so they fade out looks much better.