I Hate AAVs

In fact, there is only one thing i hate more, and that would be AAVs spawning into the enemies LOS during ATGM-ambush type scenarios.

Nothing like a 20+ KIA catastrophic kill to brighten your morning after a sleepless night!

I know there's no point to this, just letting everyone know that i'd rather get hit in the nads with a spiked baseball bat than ever have to see another ugly, offensive, fully loaded behemoth of an AAV ever again.

*winces* What, your guys never ran low on ammo, so that they then said: "Thank goodness for those AAVs and all the extra ammo they're carryin', or else we'd be SOL"?

AAVs spawning into enemy LOS isn't the AAVs' problem; it's the fault of the scenario designer.

I feel your pain!

A platoon of my fully loaded AAV's appeared 200m away from 3 T-72s

4 survivors, game over :eek:

Maybe scenario designers could add 100m to the back of the map which has no LOS to the battlefield where reinforcements could appear. Then you could choose to bring them on/unload them or not!

Only 200m away?! Sheesh, at that distance you don't even have time to pop smoke before the AP shells arrive. *sigh* Sounds like a bit of poor scenario design. Of course, in that situation, M1s are the pretty much the only Blue vehicles that would be able to not get more or less instantly knocked out. :(

*winces* What, your guys never ran low on ammo, so that they then said: "Thank goodness for those AAVs and all the extra ammo they're carryin', or else we'd be SOL"?

That's rarely an issue for me. When it comes to Marine infantry combat (especially urban), I always load up (upon debarkation) my rifle squads with a couple thousand rounds of 5.56, and enough 40 mike mike for those six-packs to make it rain all day. Even when I am only using them to run supplies to infantry in areas i consider safe, i still can't help but feel that they are more of a liability than a support tool. They can be knocked out by RPG, .50 cal, hand grenades, the crew will likely bail if you manage to terrorize it with enough small arms. I don't feel that they are safe unless there is literally a mountain between them and the action.

I've got to admit though AAVs can be deathraps for a lot of men at once I've not had as much trouble with them as I thought I would. Probably because I DO think of them as death traps and prefer to send my pixel troops on loooong slow walks across the map instead of quick one way rides. Its hard to kill two squads together in an AAV if you don't put two squads together in an AAV!

oh, oh, my favorite is when you are disembarking a full AAV and it gets hit by a shell/missile/RPG/9mm, and half the occupants are killed on their way out, and you're thinking, "awesome", and then the ammo/fuel/embalming fluid detonates, causing a huge secondary explosion that kills everyone who survived the initial blast, and then you think, "Is it my birfday or sumfink? It feels like it must be my birfday."

oh, oh, my favorite is when you are disembarking a full AAV and it gets hit by a shell/missile/RPG/9mm, and half the occupants are killed on their way out, and you're thinking, "awesome", and then the ammo/fuel/embalming fluid detonates, causing a huge secondary explosion that kills everyone who survived the initial blast, and then you think, "Is it my birfday or sumfink? It feels like it must be my birfday."

:D My personal favorite was to lead attack past knocked out BMP-3. And while my men got next to it. *KABOOM*, they got pinned (and handful lost their lives) and by that remained close to this particular BMP-3... which then kept blowing up on regular basis for few minutes. I believe my feelings were pretty much as "happy" as yours.

We told you guys that fighting with the Marines would be pretty different from fighting with the Army. AAV is not an IFV.

Yup. I use them as very competent vehicle borne IEDs. Fast at enemy positions (preferably in cover of smoke) and let enemy do the rest. :cool:

Ps. Well i've not really used it yet like that. As i just figured it out.

We told you guys that fighting with the Marines would be pretty different from fighting with the Army. AAV is not an IFV.

I'm not quite so sure if that is the problem. People might be mistaking it to the similar looking and sounding A7V Sturmpanzer.

A7V:

crew 18

armour 50-20 mm

mass 30 t

A7V-1s.jpg

AAV-7:

crew 3+25

armour 45 mm

mass 22 t

aav7.jpg

So can you blame anyone for using AAV like a Sturmpanzer?

Try playing as the Syrians and watching your BMP's get chewed up by 40mm grenades, while at the same time not being able to see anything until either the crew bails out or the BMP blows up. :(

Or better yet, watch your BMPs get chewed by regular ol' hand grenades. O.o

Not that the Stryker is much better as far as survivability. The Stryker has the advantage of being of lower profile and of lesser passenger capacity, so fewer guys buy the farm when an RPG comes calling. heh

...Sandcrawlers! Utinni! lol

I must say I am not very fond of the AAVs either. The things seem to be a massive explosion on tracks waiting to happen. Enemy RPG gunners also seem a bit too good at hitting the thing.

I thought those panels on the side were ERA? I guess that explains my somewhat higher expectations.

Wish I had the EFV or whatever eventually replaces the AAVP-7A1.