Vista/XP 181.22

• 3 weeks later...

Astrocat, Could you elaborate?

Does this mean that you have an Nvidia card running DX10 under Vista and you have been able to play CMx1?

I have been putting off upgrading my computer or buying a laptop since I keep hearing that Vista + DX10 Graphics cards will not work well together for CMx1. I know that this is a silly excuse not to buy a laptop/upgrade but . . .

Yes I have a modern 285 gtx card running the 181.22 drivers and CMBB is working. This is under Vista 64. The performance is a bit better under XP Pro sp3 with the same card and drivers (dual boot) but it is totally playable under Vista 64. This is a major improvement over previous drivers/cards I have experienced under Vista.

Yes I have a modern 285 gtx card running the 181.22 drivers and CMBB is working. This is under Vista 64. The performance is a bit better under XP Pro sp3 with the same card and drivers (dual boot) but it is totally playable under Vista 64. This is a major improvement over previous drivers/cards I have experienced under Vista.

How is the frame-rate? I could get my laptop to display CMBB correctly but the frame rate was horrible, causing me headaches.

Its ok, it is faster in XP but even with very high driver settings it was playable in Vista. I didn't get a chance to do major testing but overall I think it is a big improvement. I have a E8400 @ 3.6, 4gigs plus the 285gtx. No longer top of the line but still a high end machine so I'm sure that helps the cause.

Its ok, it is faster in XP but even with very high driver settings it was playable in Vista. I didn't get a chance to do major testing but overall I think it is a big improvement. I have a E8400 @ 3.6, 4gigs plus the 285gtx. No longer top of the line but still a high end machine so I'm sure that helps the cause.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try myself tonight. I just hate installing new video drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment at least the only way to have a decent game of CMBB or CMAK is to buy yourself an ATI card, (if you want to use Vista that is). I recently tried an older Nvidia card (a GS model) with Vista and CMBB and it was terrible - and unplayable in my eyes. You guys that say it is playable, well you have a LOT more tolerance than I.

I have tried both games in Vista with a 4850 and a 4870 and providing you use the little graphical patch (to show the white text) you can have a battle the way it was meant. That inlcudes fog, and decent framerates. This is the only way round it at present, unless you reinstall XP of course.