Trouble connecting using v1.1 and LAN

I don't know what changed between the TCP/IP Beta Demo and the v1.1 Final.

I have a P166 running Win95 and a 700 Athlon Thunderbird running Win98. Both boxes are hooked into a LAN using NICs and a Switch.

I can play Network games of other titles (like Starcraft) without any problems. And I had the Beta Demo version of CM working across the LAN as well (after I specified IP addresses and Subnet Masks manually). However, now that I have v1.1 installed on both machines, I can't get CM Network games to work over the LAN. Can't make a connection at all (at least not from within CM... as I said, everything else is still working properly so I don't think it's a hardware problem or anything).

Need help. Suggestions?

Papa

P.S.

Have played TCP/IP using v1.1 over the Internet and it works just fine. I just can't figure out how to get it to work on the LAN.

[This message has been edited by Papa Khann (edited 01-26-2001).]

Do you have any of the TCP/IP Betas still on your machines ? Try them out and see if the connection is established. Assuming that they can't establish a connection, then something may have changed in your LAN setup.

If they can connect and your v. 1.1's can't then you're going to need to give Madmatt some of your system details (possibly one of the errorlog.txt files from the Beta).

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 01-26-2001).]

Hi Dude

Have the same problem however I have run the public beta and it works OK.

Some more info is that I am running on an ICS network at home. The server (that is running the ICS) is not one of the machines playing the game.

Hope that helps

------------------

+-------+

|Posidon|

+-------+

Papa,

For whatever it's worth I still haven't been able to get a TCP/IP LAN game to run. I've spent about two weeks beating myself up trying to figure out what was wrong with no success, and tonight in a final surrender to the inevitable I called Microsoft to have them check all my protocals, IP addresses, etc. After a couple hours (literally) of diagnostics, "check this and check that", and reboots my TCP/IP network has a clean bill of health but guess what......still can't play CM H2H!!! When does the patch come out to allow IPX play?

Hope you have better luck than me,

Gary

Hi Dudes

Thought I might give you some more info.

After scratching my head for a long time and trying all sorts of combinations, I got it to connect a couple of times. By that I mean that as soon as you hit the button and it goes to the connect screen, the connection is established. However, one time it works and works as long as you do not quit out of the game. If you quit or swap the machines (server/client to client/server) again no connections and it locks up (OR SO IT SEEMS).

I seemed to have some results in setting up the host computer and then connecting with the client but canceling the connection. Once it times out (can take a long time) then try again and you're straight in.

Ok, here is what worked for me 100%. Just wait!!!!! No, seriously!!! All I did it wait. It seems like the client computer locks up alas I does not. Just wait. I takes a real long time! No sure why.

If I get any closer to a reason, Ill post it. This worked with both the public beta and the V1.1 release.

+-------+

|Posidon|

+-------+

What NICs, driver versions and interconnect hardware (hubs, switches, etc.) are you guys using ? I have seen quite a range of performance from various NICs (though not specifically in regards to CM). Are any of you running additional protocol stacks on your NICs (i.e. - NetBEUI, IPX/SPX, etc.) ? Are you logging into a 'workgroup' or a server-centric network that uses TCP/IP as its primary protocol ? Do you have 'file sharing' enabled or any other peer-to-peer (workgroup) settings enabled ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

What NICs, driver versions and interconnect hardware (hubs, switches, etc.) are you guys using ? I have seen quite a range of performance from various NICs (though not specifically in regards to CM). Are any of you running additional protocol stacks on your NICs (i.e. - NetBEUI, IPX/SPX, etc.) ? Are you logging into a 'workgroup' or a server-centric network that uses TCP/IP as its primary protocol ? Do you have 'file sharing' enabled or any other peer-to-peer (workgroup) settings enabled ?

NIC - Linksys PCI Ethernet cards with 5 port hub (no router, no firewall). Also running NetBEUI, and IPX, however I've checked TCP/IP protocol as default. Logging into workgroup via MS Networking. File and printer sharing are enabled. Been running this setup trouble free for probably three years. Also have the latest Linksys drivers, downloaded those about two weeks ago. Thanks for your interest.

This would probably affect your workgroup functionality, but it may be worth trying if you haven't tried it already.

Go to Control Panel > Network > select the TCP/IP protocol for your NIC > Properties button > NetBIOS tab > uncheck the "...enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" setting. It's possible that the overhead of having NetBIOS in the TCP/IP packets may cause some sort of problems (an uneducated guess).

Guest Madmatt

There was one beta tester that had a similar config and he too was unable to ever get his two systems to play against each other through his LinkSys equipment.

He eventually just hooked them up offline (no modem connected) to another hub and it worked fine.

Gary, can you connect to other games OUTSIDE your home lan?

By the way, there will not be an IPX patch..

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 02-01-2001).]

I have LinkSys equipment (both NICs and Switch) as well.

Matt, you wrote:

<hr>

...can you connect to other games OUTSIDE your home lan?

<hr>

I assume you are asking if he/we can play CM TCP/IP over the Net? In my case, yes, without any difficulties at all. It's just when trying to establish a CM connection on the LAN that everything grinds to a halt.

Schrullenhaft, you wrote:

<hr>

This would probably affect your workgroup functionality, but it may be worth trying if you haven't tried it already.

Go to Control Panel > Network > select the TCP/IP protocol for your NIC > Properties button > NetBIOS tab > uncheck the "...enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" setting. It's possible that the overhead of having NetBIOS in the TCP/IP packets may cause some sort of problems (an uneducated guess).

<hr>

Unfortunately, I have one Intel processor running Win95 and one Athlon processor running Win98. This combines to produce enough problems that the ONLY way to get it all to work together on a LAN is to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. (At least, that's the only way I could get it to work.)

What I don't understand is why it worked (for me, anyway) with the Beta Demo, but not v1.1.

Grrr...

Papa

[This message has been edited by Papa Khann (edited 02-01-2001).]

Hiya Matt,

Originally posted by Madmatt:

There was one beta tester that had a similar config and he too was unable to ever get his two systems to play against each other through his LinkSys equipment.

Great news...I'm just lucky I guess.

He eventually just hooked them up offline (no modem connected) to another hub and it worked fine.

I think I've indirectly tried that already. I disabled my dial up network for TCP/IP but alas still had no luck. Disabling DUN was the only way I could think of testing this theory without physically tearing out my modem. Any other advice would be appreciated as I'm no network wiz.

Gary, can you connect to other games OUTSIDE your home lan?

Yeah just like Papa I've had no other problems connecting to online games. The real kicker is I can boot up Starfleet Command on my in house LAN for H2H play, set the game as TCP/IP rather than usual IPX and the game runs fine.

By the way, there will not be an IPX patch..

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 02-01-2001).]

Just out of curiousity why only TCP/IP and no IPX? Like I said I'm no network wiz or programmer but IPX seems alot more user friendly for offline LAN games. Thanks to all.

Gary

I'm having the same problem!

both machines have linksys cards and a hub. it was like it was not downloading the game to the client computer. So I switched nic cards and hub to D-link. and the same thing

one machine is a intel 450 with 128 megs of ram Windows Me. the second machine is a k6-2 400 with 128 megs of ram win98 Se

I can ping both computers and copy files with out any problems, will attempt to play an internet game tonight.

Are any of these computers close enough that a "cross-over" cable could be used instead of a hub ? I'm not sure why a Linksys/DLink hub would be causing problems, but if it can be cut out of the loop (temporarily) it would be nice to find out if this is the culprit.

I wouldn't know why, but I wonder if there is some sort of problem between WinME and Win98/Win95 in a peer-to-peer LAN environment in regards to CM.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Are any of these computers close enough that a "cross-over" cable could be used instead of a hub ? I'm not sure why a Linksys/DLink hub would be causing problems, but if it can be cut out of the loop (temporarily) it would be nice to find out if this is the culprit.

OK...Finally got around to trying this. Used a cross-over patch cable from card to card and still nothing. The "host" computer goes to the scenario unit set-up screen, and the "client" just sits with the message "Downloading scenario. This may take a few moments" (that's an understatement). Eventually the connection times out and I'm back to no game again. Seems the hub is not the problem. Really like to play on my LAN but I'm about ready to give up. Anybody have any more suggestions? Thanks.