Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Win2K and losing video prefs

dalem

Running Win2K SP2, Tbird 1.2GHz, ABIT KT7A, Nvidia GEForce2 GTS 64MB (Nvidia 21.81 driver rev), 1.25GB RAM.

CM installs fine and runs in desired high res mode (768x1024 85Hz) just fine (FSAA set to 2x for flicker elimination). Game runs indefinitely with no issues, but exiting casues problems. Regardless of whether I exit via alt-Q or Main Menu Exit, I am able to restart CM with no problems until about the third exit of the game. At that point, restarting the game causes the hardware acceleration to be lost, and I am offered only 640x480 max.

Selecting "skip" for video prefs four times (i.e. scrolling through options) kicks me out to desktop with following error:

"unable to initialize 3D acceleration"

Prefs file intact, upon a reboot all is well, until about three game exits later.

(Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but Searching didn't return any exact hits.)

Any ideas?????

thanks!!

-dale

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: dalem ]

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: dalem ]

Is this the third load up of CM within one boot or are these different boots of your OS ? When you 'lose acceleration' do you automatically get prompted for resolution selection on the fourth load up of CM ? Has anything changed about the file size of the Prefs file (keeping track of it as you reload CM) ?

The DirectX error you saw is normal. Once CM has gotten to the 'lowest level' of DirectX recognized resolutions and refresh rates it assumes that you have a problem (which may not be CM's specific assumption, but the way that the DirectX calls work) i.e. - there are no more modes to select from and therefore there must be a problem if you didn't select a previously offered mode (resolution).

Did these issues start occuring with the latest 21.81 Detonators or has anything else changed about your hardware or software setup that could be associated with the occurance of this problem ?

This is the third load up of CM within one boot. Rebooting the box remedies the issue for another three "loads". Prefs file seems unchanged (mode, size, location, etc) during this occurance.

I guessed the error was normal, it seemed the type of message one might get if there was no 3D accelerator in the machine. Good to know this isn't a seperate issue.

No hardware or software has changed; in fact the problem replicates itself with both the GeForce2 GTS and my old TNT2 32mb card, but the driver remained constant. Is there perhaps a better driver I should try?

Thanks for all your help...I really appreciate it!

Under Win2K you could try the 14.70 drivers, but I can't recall off-hand what the problems for a GeForce 2 series card will be with FSAA (they worked just as well as the 21.81's on a GeForce 3). Are the 21.81's the drivers you using with all of your other NVidia-based cards ?

I don't have a similar hardware setup to you, but I can try my Win2K setup here and see if I duplicate your problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Under Win2K you could try the 14.70 drivers, but I can't recall off-hand what the problems for a GeForce 2 series card will be with FSAA (they worked just as well as the 21.81's on a GeForce 3). Are the 21.81's the drivers you using with all of your other NVidia-based cards ?

I don't have a similar hardware setup to you, but I can try my Win2K setup here and see if I duplicate your problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! We dropped down to Nvidia 12.41 and that took care of it. Still some white text blur/flicker, but all else is smooth, and no other weird behavior.

thanks again!

-dale