New Campaign - Forging Steel

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You finish it? Nice one! :D

I'm having my bum handed to me in the penultimate mission. Down to two BIFVs and a few desperate men, grimly holding onto Norburg. I decided not to do any save game and play it through... I tell you you come to love these little fellahas!

I did decide on making the victory conditions pretty tough, so I'm waiting to see if they were too tough. Whay ya think yersel?

Cheers fur noo

George

Yeah i finished it, on vacation and being sick so i have time... But not without retrying few scenarios so i can't take credit from beating it in fair-play. :D Should try at some point of time.

About victory conditions. Well they offered me few supprises, as i expected to get something like major victory, when i might get just draw or tactical victory. But when thinking about it more closely i can understand why i got rated like that. i failed to meet commanders intents. Like hide size and nature of force from enemy, or destory/locate enemy units. I probably wouldn't deserve better rating than that in the first place. I managed to get major victory form campign (last abttle was draw) but ain't that more about caused/suffered casualities than success during campaign?

Spoiler****

With retrying worst situations i was able to keep half of my tanks and 30% of Bradleys operational for last fight, granted without retrying my tanks and all bradleys probably wouldn't exist anymore, couple of time Kornets and Saxhorns managed to get whole platoon of tank into sights, result usually was very-very ugly). Last battle was supprisingly easy because of i had enough tanks and they had good positions which i found in previous battle. Lone M1 Abrams took whole company of BMP-3s and infantry inside them in about 2 minutes! Then again without Cobra-team i wouldn't been able to retake northers side of bridge, which i left it undefended. All my core tanks which were alive didn't have functioning optics or targeting system. and my few Bradleys couldn't cross bridge as platoon T-90s and about abotu comany of BMP-3s were sitting behind it. Cobra's M1's found and destoryed them one by one and after that mech platoon from Cobra took enemy occupied position back to me from bridge's north side.

My tanks and artillery basically won all battles, infantry was performing rather passively mostly doing just recon or fighting in villages and towns.

Hi Secondbrooks

Well done mate :) Good to see there is a plus side to being ill. Yeah the vic conditions for the campaign are based overall on the casualties you suffer. In saying that winning each mission (i.e. following your OPORD and fulfilling it's intent) whilst conserving your force does leave you in a good position for the following action. Losing each mission gradually leaves you in a deeper hole to attempt to dig yourself out off!

It is primarily a AFV and artillery action, although you do need boots on the ground for clearing and recce. I found losing most of my grunts edning up being a disadvantage further down the line. Good combined arms tactics keeps you going in the end.

Thanks again for giving it a shot :)

Hi Skinned Puppy

Ouch! That must have hurt ;)

Cheers fur noo

George

Do the Syrians have some form of air support, because in the third mission, my tanks are getting strafed by a helicopter or something.

Possible spoilers

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

He! He! I must admit for a while I was not sure whether the AI would call air support - looks like it can and does. Yes the Red side does have some air assets, not much and pretty light but enough to give you a WTF! moment, I hope ;)

Cheers fur noo

George

Also, in the attack on nordburg (spelling srry), what constitutes capturing the bridgehead, because I thought I had secured both sides of the bridge, but after the ceasefire it says I had not.

Did you check that there are no hostiles in objective area? I believe i've failed to fulfill occupy objective as there has been few enemies hanging around in some building. I'm not sure but it feels that CMSF requires side to have 'occupy'-objective 100% clean from enemy presence.

I've trying to win the first mission of the campaign for a couple of days now and no luck. I wonder, what is the proper way of conducting recon? The only way I find out about enemy position is by getting blown up one way or the other? I just dismount the Bradley and have the virtual people walking around.

I've trying to win the first mission of the campaign for a couple of days now and no luck. I wonder, what is the proper way of conducting recon? The only way I find out about enemy position is by getting blown up one way or the other? I just dismount the Bradley and have the virtual people walking around.

Hi Stikkypixie

The first mission is a tough one for sure. It's worth reading the briefing and making sure you are clear as to what you are being taksed to do. In summary you are to ID/locate enemy forces; engage ID'd enemy forces with direct or indirect fires BUT avoid decisive engagement.

Possible spoilers

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

So what that means in game terms is you get points for IDing enemy units and destroying them. You also get points if you actually touch the NAIs, but touching the NAIs runs the risk of losing units, which you do not want to do. So a safer option is to slowly move your grunts into loactions where they can get eyes on the NAIs. Park you souts there for a while and eventually they should start to ID stuff, which you then KO with indirect fire. This cautious approach will see you get a win. The temptattion is to start moving AFVs forward but you want to avoid that unless you are sure you have massive overwhemling overwatch firepower. Better to move your dismounts into observation positions. Overall you have to take your time with this one. Hope this helps. I'm sure so of the other guys will come along and provide better more specific advice.

Cheers fur noo

George

ps I'm away for a week's ice climbing so will be out of internet range for a that time.

Also, on the first mission, make SURE you have your M1s in overwatch for your forward elements, or you may be in for a nasty surprise later on in the scenario. Another thing that helped me alot was to arm all of your squads withe the javelins from their Bradleys. That way you dont have to risk your tanks or Brads if you see some IFVs or MBTs.

The first 2 battles have been fun.......Not sure about the third....

Has anyone else had a "Fatal error run out of memory" crash? I got one after the second battle had completed and the 3rd battle was loading. I did get to save the game. I have not tried to open it. Yes, I am patched to v 11.

I did manage to get through the Marine campaign that shipped w/ the game. Before version 11, my machine crashed in the middle of the Poh (sp?) scenario. I never could finish it. Unfortunately, in my last go at that campaign, I picked the wrong fork because I never got the Poh battle.

I have a Nividia 7800 gs card w/ the latest drivers.

stikkypixie,

I usually send 2 of my squads towards the really close one (NAI 2 i think), while I send the other one on the other side of the map to check out NAI 3 and 5. Then I use my Humvees to scout the small urban NAI and then at the end I converge everyone from all sides on NAI 4 (i think).

Has anyone else had a "Fatal error run out of memory" crash? I got one after the second battle had completed and the 3rd battle was loading. I did get to save the game. I have not tried to open it. Yes, I am patched to v 11.

Try playing the save game. I think you'll be alright as the old mission will be cleared out of your virtual memory now.

VERY interesting moniker by the way...:D