New Campaign - Forging Steel

Merry Christmas! One for you track heads :D

I've played it out myself but like all these things it could do with more takes on it. As such I reckon this is more a WIP rather than a final polished product!

Important: You will need the USMC module and your game patched to 1.11 to play this campaign.

Play Blue Vs Red AI; H2H only

The Campaign

This campaign covers a 12 hour period of intense mechanised combat which follows a US (Blue) balanced company combat team spearheading an attack against Threat (Red) mechanised forces.

There are five main combat missions, assuming as the US (Blue) side you can fight your way through winning each one, if you don’t then you’ll have six actions to fight.

Each mission has a distinct feel about it reflecting a key mission a mechanised combat team would, or might, be given. The enclosed flow chart shows the campaign flow from the Blue perspective with each action outlined.

Core Units

This campaign is designed to be played primarily from the US (Blue) side. The main core unit that is tracked through the campaign is on the US side and focuses around ‘Hammer Team’. However, the Threat side does have a core unit for part of the action – mostly the first few battles.

For this reason the campaign is designed to be played primarily from a US (Blue perspective) against the Threat (Red) AI.

In saying that I have included briefings and maps for the Red side thus enabling it to be played H2H.

Each battle has several Threat (Red) AI plans so there is a certain amount of re-playability. You should also note if you decide to replay a battle then the AI might adopt a different strategy in it’s operations…

Important!! The bottom line for the US player is you just cannot afford losses, at any stage. To do so will either see you kicked out of the campaign or facing an end battle with next to no units. Red can afford losses – in fact in many actions Red is fighting a desperately to stem the US (Blue) attacks or eliminate their gains.

The challenge for the Blue player, surprise, surprise is to achieve the mission objectives whilst conserving his force. There will be no 7th Cavalry galloping over the hill to save the day, in any battle.

Map and Battle Size

All the battles are on, generally speaking, very large maps – typically around 2.5 x 2.5Km square. Unit sizes on map are generally around a few platoons to at most a reinforced company. No massed battalions here you’ll be relieved to hear!

The new BFC patch 1.11 should see these maps load far quicker, in a few minutes on average.

You can grab it over at:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=148

As always feedback most welcome :)

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

ps away over Christmas so will not be able to respond to any queries until I return.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe.

This campaign is making me feel like a novice. I've had to restart the first battle twice now because something happens that suddenly causes me to loose too many units unexpectedly.

You've made excellent use of protected firing positions! It's the first time such a small number of red units have given me so much trouble. You maps are great too! Very detailed and realistic though your use of irrigation ditches is giving me a headache!

---------------spoiler... of sorts-------------------------------------

So how are you guys task organizing your scout elements. I have two main scout groups (Bradleys and Humvees), my command post + FISTV go for high ground to get LOS on the battlefield to call in arty and my tanks are centrally located to react to contact. So far, I'm beginning to think that keeping my tanks organized as a platoon might be a bad idea. Long LOS line on the map are spread out and considering how terrain is so broken up by ditches moving my M1A2s supports often results in bogged tanks.

George, hi,

Looks superb… just opened it up and read the briefings then launched the first game. Saved and am greatly looking forward to playing quite a bit of the first game tomorrow…

Entire thing looks stunning… as we all now expect from you…;). Also… like the CMX1 style “operations” feel to the campaign.

Congratulations…

All the best,

Kip.

Just finished the first mission after hours of careful play. Tactical defeat :(

I thought I was doing okay. Then again isn't there a saying that goes "if the battle is going according to plan, then your probably in an ambush." Or, something like that.

George, do you have the original maps for each of the scenarios? They're so well made I'd love to play around with them - promise not to use for anything but my own gaming.

yeah, i am really enjoying it. Except for my first playthrough >.< I had 2 M1s taken out by a single T-90 and the other two became bogged on the reverse side of that big old hill on the left side of the map where they could provide no support whatsoever! Argggg

2nd time went better however :) Great job, I am enjoying it even more than Armour Attacks, which btw, i enjoyed a helluvalot.

arrrrrg! this is the most enjoyable CMSF game I have ever played that has left me so frustrated. I am 1 hour into the 2nd mission, and I have 6 (yeah six) immobilized Brads from becoming bogged. I have lost 2 full squads, and a full team, and both of my 120mm mortars are empty. Not really sure what to do, because without their rides, the infantry is going to have a hard time humping it over such long distances and without supressing fire from the Bushmasters or artillery. >.< I'm gonna finish and then try again.

-----------------------------------SPOILER------------------------------------------------------------------

a great scenrario indeed. tough i don't think you can win it in first play.

the enemy final assault is far stronger than you can handle with the tank platoon you have.

but really a good scenario, and very enjoyable.

thanks.

The odds are really stacked against you. Your facing a reinforced enemy company with good equipment, and worst of all (and a little unrealistically I think) they are all "Crack" level experience.

In essence your recon unit is being tasked to do an area reconnaissance, in early daylight, against what is essentially a company battle position. I think the battle win conditions are more suited against a reinforced platoon CSOP

The armored counter assault is very cool though - but definitely not something you can handle and continue the mission without significant losses unless you know when and where the attack is coming. I had eyes on their avenue of approach and didn't see them until they literally popped out on top of my own probe so either they were hidden there all along, or my guys just missed them.

Hi Guys

He! Good to see this has sparked interest :)

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, it's very much appreciated.

I must admit when playing this out whilst designing it, I found it was a challenge to see if the balance was right. Like all these things after you've played it a few times you lose sight of the woods for the trees so to speak. The actual setting for this campaign is hypothetical. The main source of inspiration was a book called "The Defense of Hill 781" - subtitled an allegory of modern combat.

In the book the setting for this series of actions is purgatory or as it is more commonly know the US Army's National Training Centre. That accounts for the Threat force experience levels - they are way more experienced than any unit I guess would be in RL. That is partly to offset the US forces inherent superiority with it's vehicles and firepower.

OK - possible spoilers

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

The first mission can be won just by IDing enemy units. Pushing to far to soon will see you in trouble. Mind it is a recce. No-one knows what exactly is there, hence the recce. In reality it is a stronger position than first thought, but any info you gain in this will work for you in the next action.

You don't have many tanks true, but you do have a lot of Javelins ;)

Vehicles bogging is an issue. I put the drainage ditches in pretty much to limit movement, you have to plan where and how you are going to move through this sector. Still stuff that gets stuck should be OK for the next mission.

I'm keen to see how you all get on, and if there are changes to be made I'm happy to make em :) So good luck with the following missions, look forward to your comments.

Cheers fur noo

George

I made yet another stupid tactical blunder....

-------------------------------SPOILERS-----------------------------------------------

I neglected to look at the tactical map of the mission where you attack the town and try to take the bridge (sorry, forgot the name). I happily positioned my tanks on the small rise to the southwest. Suddenly, to my astonished eyes, appeared a few T-90s and some BMPs that blasted my helpless tanks and masacred everyone in the small staging area I had set up on the reverse of the hill, which included a couple of Brads and some Infantry. Naturally, I was very angry, so I grumbled my way into the breifing, where I saw the HUGE red arrow sweeping in from the southwest that was labled: T-90s. :) Oh well, I guess its a lesson to learn... Still having wicked fun though, great job George.

Oops...

In all the missions there are no weird surprises, what you are told and is shown on the maps is pretty much par for the course. In that mission you should also have recived a radio message warning of approaching enemy armour - I named a reinforcement unit with the radio message just to make sure:)

Glad you're having fun still - good luck with the next few missions.

Cheers fur noo

George

Hi Guys

He! Good to see this has sparked interest :)

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, it's very much appreciated.

I must admit when playing this out whilst designing it, I found it was a challenge to see if the balance was right. Like all these things after you've played it a few times you lose sight of the woods for the trees so to speak. The actual setting for this campaign is hypothetical. The main source of inspiration was a book called "The Defense of Hill 781" - subtitled an allegory of modern combat.

In the book the setting for this series of actions is purgatory or as it is more commonly know the US Army's National Training Centre. That accounts for the Threat force experience levels - they are way more experienced than any unit I guess would be in RL. That is partly to offset the US forces inherent superiority with it's vehicles and firepower.

:) NTC OPFOR! Okay, now the scenario makes sense. I remember going there for a training cycle and being mauled by those guys. We swore they knew every single inch of terrain intimately. My only moment of joy out there was taking out a BRDM with a viper (MILES AT4 simulator) that thought it was sneaking up on one of our positions. So all in all I think I'm having better luck in CM than I did in real life.

OK - possible spoilers

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

The first mission can be won just by IDing enemy units. Pushing to far to soon will see you in trouble. Mind it is a recce. No-one knows what exactly is there, hence the recce. In reality it is a stronger position than first thought, but any info you gain in this will work for you in the next action.

You don't have many tanks true, but you do have a lot of Javelins ;)

Wait, so we don't have to actually physically enter the objective zones to win? It's in trying to do that I tended to get over extended and get ripped to shreds in red fire sacks.

Actually, I managed to score most of my kills with artillery. The hill at the bottom left of the map is ideal for this. Get your FIST up there along with some scouts. Find a good spot where he can observe all the main areas of interest below. He'll eventually start to ID several BMPs. I simply sat there and called in precision artillery on them. Got kills every time. I think I fired off one Javelin at BMP on the other side of the map that I saw moving between cover.

Yeah the Javelin's would have helped against the armored counter attack, but I had my scout teams spread out probing or covering areas. When the attack came the one team that could have made a difference was suppressed and killed by a BMP that spotted them as they were setting up to fire. Too bad you literally have to get your teams on top of a ridge to have them spot into lower terrain - no peeking over the top.

Vehicles bogging is an issue. I put the drainage ditches in pretty much to limit movement, you have to plan where and how you are going to move through this sector. Still stuff that gets stuck should be OK for the next mission.

Hehe, I coursed several times at the vehicles when this happened and made me wish we had support units modeled in the game, but I actually thought this was pretty realistic. I've seen terrain like that in Tennessee and parts of Louisiana. You can't go a hundred meters without ending up in a ditch of some type *grumble*

Hi Cmfan

He! So you've been there! :) Nice one! From what I've read it sounds like you get put through the wringer there.

Re the bogging issue - I was cursing myself just an hour ago after losing three out of four M1s to bogging. I must admit I would like to see some sort of battlefield recovery, like vehciles towing each other out of the mess they have driven into. Maybe some day... Still these ditches do serve to constrain Blues movement and adds a buggeration factor ;)

Possible Spoilers for 1st Mission Victory Conditions

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

In the first mission there are several ways you can achieve your mission. Basic premise and as the brief states is to 'check out' the NAIs. You can do this by sending in units (dismounts or vehicles) to check em out - the NAIs are touch objectives so you get points for them, however to do so you run the risk of losing units in the enemy fire sacks. The other option, and as mentioned in the brief is to ID units and engage them by either direct or indirect fires. You get points for IDing some units and destroying others. It should therefore be possible to win this by IDing Threat units and/or KOing them rather than actually having to enter the NAIs and losing your own stuff. However some of the NAIs don't easily allow 'eyes on'...

Good luck with the following missions :)

Cheers fur noo

George

Very good campaign that was. :) Thanks.

Earning victory seemed pretty harsh some times, but i guess that is the idea.

You finish it? Nice one! :D

I'm having my bum handed to me in the penultimate mission. Down to two BIFVs and a few desperate men, grimly holding onto Norburg. I decided not to do any save game and play it through... I tell you you come to love these little fellahas!

I did decide on making the victory conditions pretty tough, so I'm waiting to see if they were too tough. Whay ya think yersel?

Cheers fur noo

George

granted, I'm only on the third mission, but so far, I think that the campaign has a manageable difficulty level. However, if you make a stupid mistake or let your guard down, you will end up with a pile of bleeding soldiers and a couple of burning IFVs. :)

The fact that you gave us the full possible amount of time to play the scenario allows the player to take it really, really slow, as to avoid those kind of mistakes.