Comparison with CIV?

Plugger

The various nth-generation Empire knockoffs certainly took complexity to new levels-you can always pile features upon features until the entire edifice comes crashing down. All I want is a reasonably playable facsimile of 1900-1950 style warfare, and that should be doable here. Civ's ultimate problem combat-wise is that the combat system had to be able to handle all eras, but its generic blandness meant that it depicted none of them well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Goodaye,

I'd argue that you do need some complexity. However it has to be wrapped up in a good game design. Dumbing down the game to the lowest common demoninator isn't going to make Brit rich and famous.

There are a number of games already on the market that already model WW2+ combat in reasonable detail and offer civ-style random map generators and technology trees. EoS has to offer something different in order to stand out.

From what I can figure out about EoS to date the differences are a more involved resource model (eg. you don't just acquire 'oil' you instead get an oil resource that gives you 'x' amount of oil per turn) and a robust multiplayer facility.

The percentage of people who actually get together and play a game online is pretty small compared to those that buy the game primarily for solo use.

So that leaves the resource model (of course there could be other stuff that we don't know about). This is interesting in that it's a 'pull' model. Eg. your main focus is on gaining (pulling) resources into your economy so you can produce more stuff.

Most of the like-minded competitor games that I know of have a 'push' model in that the focus is on pushing supply out from the centres of production to the troops.

But having a fairly unique 'pull' resource model isn't going to wow the world if it doesn't come with some kind of more involved means of utilising it. The kind of person who'd go for a combat orientated no-frills civ-style game isn't likely to be overly impressed by a resource model that magically spreads oil, food and steel around your kingdom just because you happen to own the particular resource hex. They'd want some kind of involvement in the process, hence all the talk about convoys etc.

This ties in with giving the game a robust naval model (i.e there's a reason for having a navy). Add this to a resource system that EoS uses plus a convoy / resource transport system of some kind and you've probably got a unique proposition that would carve out a decent niche in the market place.

This does involve a bit of complexity but it's targeted complexity and hopefully complexity that can be built into the game in an easy to use manner.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Plugger