An imponderable conspiracy

Affentitten

Make sure you prepare that Etuipian coffee on a charcoal brazier made out of a vegetable oil jerry can. Also include sundry goats, children and other livestock wandering around the hut, the floor of which has been strewn with fresh bundles of reeds.

I can probably manage dust and flies to lend realism - I dunno about goats and reeds. Brazier - no worries. Charcoal - now there's a thing.

What tea was the man using?

Don't recall.

Were you in a hard water area?

Yes, but I brew quite delicious tea with the same water, so I don't see that this counts.

Was the teapot a brown betty, or something else?

Brewed in the cup on this occasion.

Did he put milk in it?

Probably, although I have no clear recollection.

Had he ever been in the Army?

I don't know, but I tend to doubt it.

Was he from Yorkshire?

No, Devon. Are the Yorkies reputed to be especially inept?

BTW, the best advice I ever got on the making of tea was from a former South African. He told me that, "If you brew it for 30 seconds, it is like the kiss of a young virgin. If you brew it for 60 seconds, it is like the kiss of a mature woman. But if you brew it for 3 minutes, it is like the kiss of an old hag." The figure I have settled on is 40 seconds. Young but with a little experience and eager to learn more.

Michael

Runyan wins the prize for correct answer. Clearly he missed the point of the thread by introducing logic and reason.

BTW, the best advice I ever got on the making of tea was from a former South African. He told me that, "If you brew it for 30 seconds, it is like the kiss of a young virgin. If you brew it for 60 seconds, it is like the kiss of a mature woman. But if you brew it for 3 minutes, it is like the kiss of an old hag." The figure I have settled on is 40 seconds. Young but with a little experience and eager to learn more.

Michael

40 seconds? Are you some kind of girly man? Might as well drink a glass of warm water.

Good tea should not have any old haggish tendencies after a couple of minutes.

Cheap 100% robusta coffee made (and burnt) in a drip maker which is then put in a thermos push-top dispenser and left there for a couple hours will always taste like a watered down petroleum product.

Actually Mrs Affentitten did a stint working in a business hotel and she confirms that the coffee for the morning session of a conference would often be made up to 4 hours prior.

Apparently this is a Danish thing.

After much experimentation, I can confirm that the correct brewing time for my large-leaf green tea is 4 minutes exactly. Unfortunately, the number of times that I manage to remember to pour the tea at the four-minute mark rates at around 50% of the time. But when I do remember, it tastes lovely.

As for black tea, I have forsaken that dreck in favour of green tea. Never going back, either.

As for black tea, I have forsaken that dreck in favour of green tea. Never going back, either.

I thought the common wisdom on tea was "once you try black, you never go back"? :confused:

I, however, love both. Japanese sencha is very tasty in particular, so refreshing. Most of the time I prefer black because green tea has hardly any caffeine to temper my addiction.

Just remember to prepare your tea in correct temperatures. Green tea should be prepared in less than boiling temperature, or it will taste burned.