diffrent IPs

Yep. I'm in the same boat.

Because CMAK can detect your 'internal' IP address. This is used within the intranet, while any outside host would only see your external IP address.

So technically, if there would be a CM'er that has the same ISP and so on, he could join your game through the intranet. Or sumfink.

Just 3 little questions :

1. I have 2 ips , 1 internal 1 external right?

2. Internal ip is used to communicated with the isp and the external 1 is to communicate between the isp and other servers right?

3. If u have a static ip do u have a separate internal and external ip?

[ June 21, 2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: yacinator ]

yac -

I also have a dynamic address. CMAK (I just went through this on Friday) lists two different possible IP's when I play TCP/IP. I just went to www.whatismyip.com in order to find out which one to use. (It was the last/bottom one, though I don't know if that's consistent or not.)

But it sounds like CM isn't listing both IP's when you try to play? Is that correct?

You may need to provide a little bit more information. Do you use a router between the DSL and your computer? Is there some sort of firewall feature?

In general, you will need to provide the external IP address to your opponent. Depending on the answers to questions about routers and firewalls, you may also have to do some configuration work to make sure the Combat Mission network traffic is routed correctly to your hosting machine.

If you don't have a router or firewall, it is possible that the connection will just work using the external IP address.

I'm guessing there must be a minimal router in the DSL box if it presents a separate IP address to your machine, but it would really be helpful to see some of the numbers.

As to IP addresses:

External or full internet IP addresses have to be managed so that there are no conflicts in addresses (otherwise your network traffic will get sent somewhere else). This is done by having a central administrator for so-called "top-level domains", which are things line .com, .edu, etc. They assign blocks of addresses to organizations or even individuals. The domain owners then can subdivide the addresses, again making sure that each device has an address that isn't assigned anywhere else. These addresses are also known as WAN (wide-area network) addresses.

Part of the set of legal IP addresses is reserved for so-called internal or LAN (local area network) addresses. These addresses are not legal addresses for the internet as a whole, so they need to be shielded from the internet by a "router" which can route messages from the internet to the appropriate local address.

One way to think of this is to imagine a hotel, which has a street address (the WAN) and also cubby holes for each guest room (the LAN). Mail is sent to the hotel, and then at the hotel is placed in the appropriate guest's box. The room number is typically not part of the address of the mail.

What a computer router does is store the local address information in part of the message sent out on the internet, say to a web server to get a web page. When the web server replies, the reply is sent to the external address of the router. The router looks in the message, which includes the local address on the LAN, and it then knows how to forward the message to the appropriate local machine. The web browser on the local machine doesn't need to know about the router or any of the translation stuff.

Normally nothing on the local computer needs to know this, UNLESS it is trying to be visible to the outside world as a server. That is the situation you get when you want to host a game. You have to give an address that is visible to the entire internet, not only on the circuit between your DSL box and your computer.

But as far as what you need to do to make sure that the requests get forwarded properly from the DSL external address to your machine's internal address depends on the particulars of the DSL box, so I guess you need to read the manual that came with it (if one did).

BTW, internal addresses all start with 192 as the first group of numbers in the address.