HELP!! Spyware, virus or something else?

Cuirassier

Yesterday some false anti-virus site showed up on my computer. Naturally I didn't download it and I ran a Norton scan to quarantine it. So now Norton is blocking that site. However, I still get these annoying popups every minute or so saying there is a security risk in my taskbar and trying to connect me to that site. Whenever it pops up it minimizes everything else and is really annoying. Does anyone here know what I can do to fix it?

You will need malwarebytes Anti-malware to kill this little bastage.

First, load the PC as normal. Disable system restore (right-click my comptuer, go to properties, go to system restore, turn system restore off on all drives)

Next, restart the PC in safe mode (F8 at start up, Safe Mode with Networking)

Once in safe mode, use your web browser to reach www.malwarebytes.com

Download, update, and install this software. Run a complete scan.

Let it remove any files, and restart in normal mode.

Forever more, use Mozilla Firefox for your web browsing, an router instead of a modem, a decent firewall (eg Sunbelt's free personal firewall), and a better email program than the one you're using.

Well it got rid of most of the problem. This Windows phishing security thing still keeps popping up every couple of minutes too on my desktop, but disappears before I can get a good look at it. And again it temporarily minimizes things. I have run both spy bot S&D and malewarebytes but I can't seem to get rid of it. Any ideas?

Well it got rid of most of the problem. This Windows phishing security thing still keeps popping up every couple of minutes too on my desktop, but disappears before I can get a good look at it. And again it temporarily minimizes things. I have run both spy bot S&D and malewarebytes but I can't seem to get rid of it. Any ideas?

Other tools you could run:

CCleaner to clear out temp files that might be infected.

Lavasoft's Ad Aware 2008.

AVG Free 8.0 is also pretty effective at cleaning these things.

Run as many of them as you can in Safe Mode.

Yeah. Go post on the forum I told you to post on.

Read the FAQ, follow all the steps, and if that don't work, post your log and somebody will be along shortly to fix your problem. They're very good, they will fix it.

Whatever you got is just going to keep on installing itself until you do.