Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Question: What Processor is Best AMD,INTEL

Originally posted by Patgod:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

Question : What is the whole Pentium and Celeron difference? If a Celeron has a slightly higher MHZ rating than a Pentium, is it truly faster?

celys have massivly slashed l2 cache, and used to(dont know about now) have a slower FSB. they suck, plain and simple.</font>

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

I'm really dragging my heels over the prospect of my piece-o-filth 12MB *shared* VRAM not being enough for CMBB. I haven't tried it yet, but my friend tells me I can disable a connection in the Mobo so that I can add a *real* Video card, anyone ever done that or know of such a thing?

I had to do that disabling thing with my previous computer; it's all done by software and it's not hard. I don't remember the exact details, but basically, you go into Device Manager (which is in control panel; you may go Control Panel/system/Hardware/Device Manager, but I'm not sure), click on display adapter, and select something that says that says something like "disable."

In XP, you go Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Display Adapter...but I think the path was slightly different in Win 98.

You will get noticeable improvement if you install a real card, although if you computer does not have an AGP port for the card (which a lot of older "value computers" don't, the improvement you get will be limited, since the PCI slot acts like something of a bottleneck. It can sometimes be hard to find PCI vid cards, too, although they tend to be cheap.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

I'm really dragging my heels over the prospect of my piece-o-filth 12MB *shared* VRAM not being enough for CMBB. I haven't tried it yet, but my friend tells me I can disable a connection in the Mobo so that I can add a *real* Video card, anyone ever done that or know of such a thing?

I had to do that disabling thing with my previous computer; it's all done by software and it's not hard. I don't remember the exact details, but basically, you go into Device Manager (which is in control panel; you may go Control Panel/system/Hardware/Device Manager, but I'm not sure), click on display adapter, and select something that says that says something like "disable."

It can sometimes be hard to find PCI vid cards, too, although they tend to be cheap.</font>

I wish I'd had those step-by-step instructions when I installed my video card; it took me forever to figure it out :( .

I think I had the same PCI card in my old computer that you're installing. It will be a noticeable improvement over what you have now, although its performance won't approach what the same card would do if it were AGP. (But twice as good as what you have now is great, even if it is still only 1/3 as good as it would be on some other computer).

So it's definitely a worthwhile upgrade; it's probably the best thing you can do for CM short of buying a new computer. And it's much cheaper.