WW2- or CM Normandy - reality or revision?

GSX

I'm really looking forward to the CM-2 WW2 Version. SF looks good and ww2 should do to, I really like the 1-1 representation.

However, I hope that CM Normandy will follow reality. If as has been hinted its going to be US Vs Germans from DDay to Breakout, then I would hope youd keep to history.

The US faced a lot of infantry and slugged their way to various objectives, Cherbourg comes to mind. SS Divisions and Tigers werent seen until the last weeks of Normandy for the US and even then, were very rare.

I just hope that CM Normandy will reflect this reality and not succumb to revisionism just to have a Tiger and some SS in June 44. What we should be seeing is German Infantry, or Paras and more Stugs and PzIV than anything else.

please dont revise history for the sake of a game....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have faith..they are the same guys that deconstructed our wonderful cherry picking QB system for the sake of realism remember?..just kidding :D But really there is no indication that they wont pay attention to historical accuracy. CMSF is based on a fictional conflict and yet we mostly get down to earth MOUT and asymmetrical warfare. I think Steve even mentioned that Tigers might not make it in the first release for historical reasons. Modules will be quite strict in time periods and equipment anyway.

You can bet Tigers will be in, for sales purposes, but scenarios will be, as they always have, well researched, with forces as representative of the actual combatants as the information available allows them to be. Most of the user made scenarios will be also, though plenty of what if's get made for fun.

However, I hope that CM Normandy will follow reality. If as has been hinted its going to be US Vs Germans from DDay to Breakout, then I would hope youd keep to history.

The last word I heard was D-day itself would not be represented but the initial release would take us through early September- i.e. just before Market-Garden. Commonwealth forces would be introduced in the first module.

Actually it is going to be about the pre-invasion buildup. Lots of moving guys in and out of tents and stacking supplies and moving tanks off of ships and into motor pools. It's really an untapped part of the whole Normandy experience.

LOL cant wait for that one! man must be fun and challenging, get the right tank in right Landing ship and right units and radios and equiptments to right place etc..

they should name it CM:Quartermaster! :D

I would actually buy that module...

Actually it is going to be about the pre-invasion buildup. Lots of moving guys in and out of tents and stacking supplies and moving tanks off of ships and into motor pools. It's really an untapped part of the whole Normandy experience.

Wait--what?? Moving actual guys around is so lame. I was really hoping that this release would focus on Patton's Phantom Corps across from Calais. No one has ever simulated that campaign in any depth!

... I hope that CM Normandy will follow reality. If as has been hinted its going to be US Vs Germans from DDay to Breakout, then I would hope youd keep to history.

The US faced a lot of infantry and slugged their way to various objectives, Cherbourg comes to mind. SS Divisions ... werent seen until the last weeks of Normandy for the US ...

I just hope that CM Normandy will reflect this reality and not succumb to revisionism just to have ... and some SS in June 44. ...

please dont revise history for the sake of a game....

*cough* Das Reich *cough* Götz von Berlichingen *cough*

The timeframe for the first Family of WW2 games is June-September 1944, which means it covers pretty much everything up until the Allied "pause" along the German frontier. The second Family of WW2 games picks up from there and goes until the end of the war.

As for sticking to realism, we're definitely going to keep at it for a while. But unlike CMx1, the Module concept allows us the flexibility to break that if we think there's a viable market for the end product. Yes, I'm talking about things like the Maus :) I've already hinted at this before so this is nothing new.

It is true that the US didn't run up against many of the "fun" things until after the conclusion of the Normandy campaign. However, we will definitely have Tigers and some SS formations in the game. Ahistorical? Technically no because there actually was very limited contact between US and SS formations with Tigers. But the thought of having a WWII game without Tigers in it... I'm pretty sure that's against the Geneva Convention or somefink :)

The 1st Module, which features Commonwealth forces, will have a ton of new German stuff in it as well as our pale tea drinking friends from the wee little island off the coast of Normandy. As with CM:SF, all Modules will work transparently with each other. Which means you can match up US forces against Porche turreted King Tigers, for example, once you get the Commonwealth Module.

Steve

Well, it just really comes down to whether the scenarios are well balanced and aesthetically made don't you think? You can have a shottily made map with great historical legitimacy and it will be an OK battle, and then you can have a GREAT map with 10 Elite Tigers and SS against ill nourished and ill equipped paratroopers in the incorrect year. No fun. And then you get a great map with a great historical balance... and then (very important) a bit of fiction. (enough to tweak your mouse hand and shake your coffee onto your keyboard..after all it is a game) Battlefront can offer the palette and people will create. This community will take what you give them and make great scenarios and interesting conversation that i could never explain to my wife. That is what keeps me on these boards daily.

I'm on the edge of my seat to find out if there will be any additional movement/attack modes planned for when Normandy comes out. Hopefully there will be at least some new AI capabilities to allow for infantry close assaulting tanks and the like.

Something like that may seem far-fetched in the current modern CMSF, but was certainly not entirely unfeasible in WWII.