F.I.S.H.ing in Garmsir

Garmsir_02.jpg

Hi,

as promised I now release my second Afghanistan mission. With the 24th MEU fighting in Garmsir district earlier this year and the USMC released I had little choice but to do a scenario on the battle of Garmsir. I'm planning to do a series of missions around this topic.

In this first mission you battle the Taliban at the very heart of the Garmsir district: the village of Garmsir. I used Google Earth to recreate it. Here is a comparison:

Garmsir_01.jpg

The map is large and because of the many buildings and foliage quite cpu-heavy. It was a bit laggy with my 4-year old notebook, but with a modern PC you shouldn't have any problems.

The gameplay is all about FISH: Fighting In Somebody Else's House. You have a company of Marines, two platoons of engineers and a couple of HMMWVs at your command. Your task is to clear the village of enemy forces and even with the A-10s and Harriers as air support this is quite a challenge. Most Afghan homes are surrounded by high walls, which makes them little forts. With lots of them grouped together, like in Garmsir village, it gets even more difficult. For the attacking force this can get quite bloody and frustrating. There are a few 2-story buildings, which are excellent vantage points over the rest of the village. You can also try to flank the enemy using one of the roads to the east or west.

Have fun and I'd appreciate your comments/criticism.

http://lenny.liquid-skill.de/AFR_USMC_FISH.zip

ehm just launched this one, seing as the troops have default ammo, will there be a MTVR or such with ammo replenish?

because right now, looking at the terrain and the opposition I just encountered and the violence I needed to take them out I can say that my ammo wont be enough...:eek:

Great job on the map. I enjoyed it very much. Only issue I did notice was the trees near the road cause a path finding issue with the vehicles. I had a very hard time getting the convoy to go where I wanted them... frustrating. All in all a great scenario.

*Spoiler*

I did find the enemy to be a little too spread out. My Find'em kill'em tactics worked too well and was able to form a perimeter around the objective too quickly. I had about 40 minutes of just using my air support to knock down the outer buildings. There was no climax or a fist fight. Just find'em kill'em and move on. Something was missing at the end. I don't know, anybody else feel that?

*spoiler*

I did find the enemy to be a little too spread out. My Find'em kill'em tactics worked too well and was able to form a perimeter around the objective too quickly. I had about 40 minutes of just using my air support to knock down the outer buildings. There was no climax or a fist fight. Just find'em kill'em and move on. Something was missing at the end. I don't know, anybody else feel that?

I'm thinking of strengthening the enemy forces near the market at the town center by positioning more troops in 1-story buildings. This way there will be a few more close-quarter fights you won't be able to avoid by dropping bombs.

OK just finished the scenario. I liked it 9/10 points. what I would like to see is some more activity from the uncons side, like trying to push against my forces etc, giving me some problem with securing my areas (they trying to recapture it etc)

Otherwise its a top notch scenario!

/Thomas

Hey Afreu,

*Spoiler*

I don’t think it’s necessary to strengthen the center. However, once the American player establishes control of the objective (between 80 to 100 minutes into the scenario) it would be cool to have a Taliban counter attack at two or three points. When I had the perimeter established around that large objective, I had several small gaps. A counter attack in any one of those places would add more enjoyment at the end. I think the trick is to get those counter attacks effectively moving in such late time in the game. I know I’ve been trying to do in all of my scenarios. What’s missing “The climax” – The scenario builds up to a certain spot were rounds are flying everywhere and you need those last few squads, that are still capable of assaulting, to take control. Get the counter attack going and this will be a very enjoyable scenario – up there in my top five for sure.

• 13 years later...