QBG Name?

Mark and all QBG,

How are the extra QBs from QBG named?

I scrolled through the editor and all these QB Maps look the same (same exact size, etc.) but have different names.

Example =

QB Attack Rough QBG MM_38Large(1344x864)

QB Attack Rough QBG MM_38med(1344x864)

QB Attack Rough QBG MM_38small(1344x864)

I have plenty of QBG + maps but are these duplicates?:confused:

Thanks for the answer and all your work,

CogNative

Thanks Meach,

I will go back into Booty Camp and check. (OS X CMSF / Marines / Normandy for Christmas?) I have not been good but not as naughty as the rest of you all.:)

The reason I ask is a large number of the QB maps (and I have over 200+) appear to be the same size, same map with only a different naming like QB XXX_XX small, med or large on the rear end.

If these are all the same maps, does the game need extra copies in the QB folder with the suffix or can I simply pick one (of the same map) and that works for the game to select it for any / all bigger or smaller battles on the same terrain?:confused:

If the answer is CMSF needs a different naming suffix for the same maps... then that should be on the improvement list IMO.

Heck, While on a roll... why not establish a naming convention that allows one to organize maps by SIZE outside the game editor?:D

CogNative... lost in the wonderful wilderness of QBG goodness. Thanks for all your hard work on these gems!

Mark and Mishga collaborated ages ago on maps when CMSF was first released. I think the maps could do with a major overhaul as techniques in scenario sculpting have advanced. Mishga's work now is far better than when she first started out.

Now if we sell the kids on ebay we would have more time to chain her to her pc...

As for the maps being all the same size, I am stumped. All I remember from that time was it was to facilitate people playing there favourite map but with more or less forces in a QB but I have a sneaky suspicion that small changes were made to QB already.

No longer do I get 4 Syrian Arty spotters and a recon platoon type problems. There seems to be more troops involved even in tiny battles.

Mark will probly put in a comment here as well which will explain things ten times better than i can.

One point I can think of is that the QBG maps were made to be useable for H2H as well. Maybe the size differential is to let people know?

Appreciate the feedback Meach.

Don't sell the kids, let them make more maps!:)

The QB maps were downloaded from CM MOD Database. As far as I can tell the only differences in these maps are the suffix large - med -small, etc. The maps look the same and are the same size. I ran through a bunch one afternoon in the editor and got the same results, same size maps with different size names on the files but no discernible difference.

After the CMSF v1.10 standalone patch ("Plain Jane") the QB feature began to work on the MBP and with Marines Module QBs are even more fun! Nice change of pace getting some really wonky combinations at time. I will have to check but I do remember getting a few FOs for the AI w/o any incendiary materials at their disposal. I think that was mentioned on the to fix list.

Mark's suggestion for QBG Vol 4 Special Large Maps is a great idea. "Description: 111 Large Maps. Each map allows the player to Choose ANY size force (Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge) and still play on a large map. Use it either in addition to our standard QB maps or Save your original "Quick Battle Maps" and Re-name this file For All Large Maps All the time."

What I was hoping to do is be able to organize all the QB maps in a similar fashion for tiny, small, etc. folders or a naming convention of an actual size range... (1344m x 864m) or meters times meters = square meters folders.

It would be a nice touch to have a bunch tiny urban maps in a folder for those intense 20 minute QB brew ups.

Thanks again,

CogNative

Mark will probly put in a comment here as well which will explain things ten times better than i can.

No you said it just fine. I think that the explanation of large maps/multiple sizes has been cleared up. It is indeed about the unit size, rather than map size that controls the QB selection.

It seems to me that Mishga made a set of "Tiny QBG Maps" that can be used for H2H. I'm pretty certain they include units and pathing already. Perhaps Mishga can answer that one.