Tow armed hummers

Are they good for anything but to act as targets? In an offensive mission (and all of them in the Marine campaign are) they seem unable to spot enemy armor before that armor spots them. Very bad for hummer.

In defensive positions they're useful (Pooh mission when the enemy tanks ride in half way into the scenario).

Don't get me wrong - I like a good hummer as much as the next guy... ;)

You can use them with area fire in a pinch, but yeah, I agree, they're currently not much good at engaging enemy armour in the open. Given that a TOW ought to go for a couple of miles they probably ought to have a fair chance of spotting a tank at that distance.

As you say, they can be quite effective at close range if they get the drop on enemy armour, like if they're behind a building waiting for something to drive past.

You can use them with area fire in a pinch, but yeah, I agree, they're currently not much good at engaging enemy armour in the open. Given that a TOW ought to go for a couple of miles they probably ought to have a fair chance of spotting a tank at that distance.

As you say, they can be quite effective at close range if they get the drop on enemy armour, like if they're behind a building waiting for something to drive past.

I couldn't find the equipment of TOW Humvee.

Do they have TI for target spotting?

• 2 weeks later...
Are they good for anything but to act as targets?

Well, most of the time, against armor, the TOW is shot to piece while getting in position. Doesn't mind wether it is just below a ridge, behind trees or at the corner of a group of houses. Anyhow, I shot a BMP and a tank in "saving the beachhead", the first at 200m and the second at 300-400m while being among houses and shooting through a narrow gap between them. The targets were traversing the "T" and the sighting had to be done quickly. About a 70% of them were away before a shot could be done. The one who took it went stationary. The TOW had to reverse immediately to hide and then change position.

The BMP got it while being hidden by the corner of one house at some distance. The first TOW exploded as a fact in the corner of it !!! I had to move a bit on the left of it and by chance was not destroyed by the firing BMP.

It is better to use TOW against nest of resistance of infantry, like pillboxes and houses, since being close to the grunts there less risk of RPG and assuming there is no armor in sight.

Against armor besides a clear field of fire a well concealed position and a large view in order to keep track of a traversing armor, I don't see too much life expectancy after one shot and more than often before the first one. Maybe CMSF & Marines Add-on are rating it less than in reality ???

I've had trouble using ANY of the TOW-armed vehicles against anything that can do a credible job of firing back. Getting hit by a T72 main gun round is just as dangerous for a Bradley or TOW Styker as it is for a Humvee!

But the Bradley and Striker can take a bit more punishment from an enemy BMP or other light vehicle while the hummer cannot. You're right though in that their use is limited to defensive actions. I don't think I have ever had a TOW armed vehicle spot and fire a TOW at an enemy stationary target before that target fired. The one good thing is that the AI seems to just hate hummers and fires at them apparently before other targets. So if you are moving a TOW hummer and Bradley or tank very close to one another is seems like the hummer is the favored target. Nice for spotting enemy ATGM's or RPG's (as long as you're not a hummer driver or crew).

Battlefront should envisaged to have the possibility to use the TOW outside the Humvee. If by sheer luck it can be brought nearby a house and then set on the roof, that way it would be use like the Syrian AT4 and be as diificult to find that them in the game.

Weight and time might not make that feasible. What do you think of it ?

Battlefront should envisaged to have the possibility to use the TOW outside the Humvee. If by sheer luck it can be brought nearby a house and then set on the roof, that way it would be use like the Syrian AT4 and be as diificult to find that them in the game.

Weight and time might not make that feasible. What do you think of it ?

There already in, heavy AT squad for Marines uses tripod TOWs. It is inpractacle to have movable TOWs in the short match times (battle would be over before you get it setup), they are much larger and heavier than the Syian ATGMs. So they are considered set up before the battle and remain there until the end.

There already in, heavy AT squad for Marines uses tripod TOWs. It is inpractacle to have movable TOWs in the short match times (battle would be over before you get it setup

That's correct. Actually , I was referring to its use in the game. Depending on the time needed to have it operational, the game whould be more or less over.More precisely, the action would be elsewhere, or the crew would have been put out of action, before being ready. So, why not have ian option to set in a prepared position at the deployment phase of the game. They did it for other weapon in CM. You could fire them, but not move them.

In Flanking Guard it might have help, from the OP position.