GSX

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PRR is an easy fix.

941fc67c.jpg

That is a PRR right?

Now graphically thats good, I like it. But mechanically? I think soldiers using it would automatically get some sort of combat bonus as it makes them that much more efficient soldiers. This is what the Brits say about it:

The Personal Role Radio (PRR) is a small transmitter-receiver that allows infantry soldiers to communicate over short distances.

Effective even through thick cover or the walls of buildings, PRR enables section commanders to react quickly, aggressively and efficiently to rapidly changing situations, including contact with the enemy, greatly increasing the effectiveness of infantry fire teams. PRR is issued to every member of an eight-strong infantry section.

As for graphics, well heres a shot of what could be

screen074cw2tu7.jpg

Notice the trousers!!!!

Now graphically thats good, I like it. But mechanically? I think soldiers using it would automatically get some sort of combat bonus as it makes them that much more efficient soldiers.

Oh. You do want an engine change. make ur mind up ;)

Notice the trousers!!!!

I thought you didn't want to talk about that anymore? Notice the trousers:

SNN1702SA_682_405532a.jpg

And that's of an actual soldier ;)

Angryson RE your mod: WANT.

As for the trousers, there is an obvious solution: In the Unit Editor all British units come in two varieties: trousers bloused and un-bloused. ;)

On to the PRR. This is a really cool piece of gear and I would like to see it implemented. What would be its features in-game? How would it work in relation to the British squad? I know nothing about British army tactics, but from what I gather here the operation is fundamentally different. How would we implement this in-game, and even more importantly, in time for module release? Remember that if it requires major changes, then by definition it isn't a module feature and more likely a new title ( i.e. CMSF2) feature. Honest questions, BTW. I don't know enough about British army tactics/capabilities to answer them.

PRR is improved comms at the section/platoon level, so possibly a larger command radius, or some benefit to operation as split fireteams (charlie and delta teams).

Section leaders have a longer ranged radio as well.

Interesting ideas. I could also see the PRR being featured as a constant radio contact (even while split/moving) with all fireteams with platoon leader for command contact purposes. I imagine that having the bonus on the squad level would require a new level of comms, which would probably be more work than it would be worth. That, and split teams suffering less penalties.

Oh. You do want an engine change. make ur mind up ;)

I suppose if it modelled reality more and reflected reality more, then yes I would like the PRR reflected in the engine, as to the mechanics of how to do it, I havent a clue. But if it can be done I think it should be.

normalbuckinghampalace1iy3.jpg

These are real soldiers too....:D

500m is pushing it, and it is VERY line-of-sight.

Ive used it through buildings, but your right 500m is pushing it, 2-300 is Ok. But in normal operation it makes life so much easier. No going hoarse through shouting and instant Borg spotting though, when one of your guys sees something you get it instantly.

No matter, its still a big advantage to any infantry unit. It enhances already excellent unit cohesion for Brit soldiers.

... instant Borg spotting though, when one of your guys sees something you get it instantly.

Except when some numbnuts says something unhelpful like "Over there, by the tree". Which tree, idiot. I can't see you, I don't know where you are with any degree of accuracy, I don't know which way you're facing, and we're in a forest.

And except when everyone suddenly gets either overly loquacious and jams the net, or everyone suddenly clams up.

Neither of those exceptions are particularly exceptional.

It's great for battery deployments though. Makes then un-nervingly quiet.

Except when some numbnuts says something unhelpful like "Over there, by the tree". Which tree, idiot. I can't see you, I don't know where you are with any degree of accuracy, I don't know which way you're facing, and we're in a forest.

And except when everyone suddenly gets either overly loquacious and jams the net, or everyone suddenly clams up.

Neither of those exceptions are particularly exceptional.

It's great for battery deployments though. Makes then un-nervingly quiet.

Hmm, but the whole point of training, retraining and yet more training is to discourage Mr numbnuts from doing this. Its banged into you day in day out that you have to give a proper report.

You give a target indication that everyone understands.

As in, enemy half left of point A, theres 3 of them moving left to right etc etc.

Using a PRR means sticking to the same radio discipline as you would normally. Is not on open transmit, you have to push the button. Even the most stupid soldier knows his section commander will give him a rolliking for simply blarting over the waves. And in combat, everyone's arse is on the line.

Actually, if your in a forest in CMSF, then your in the Poo! ;) I dont think that highly disciplined and very well trained infantry are going to forget years of training. I cant imagine UK soldiers being so indiciplined, nor US for that matter.