British Module

GSX

Bloody hell, nice resource! As an aside, I'd heard of "Operation TELIC" but had assumed it was some sort of sweep against insurgents after the war rather than the invasion itself. Obviously I was wrong.

TELIC is the Iraq Op, HERRICK the Afghan Op. There are a few others than encompass the war on terror etc.

Back to the Brit Module, is BF going to be able to model this accurately?

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/personal/1454.aspx

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do see PRR bringing to the table that isn't in CMSF already - what would "model[ing] [PRR] accurately" look like to you, that is distinctly different to what we already have?

Or were you talking about the British penchant for wearing berets?

What do see PRR bringing to the table that isn't in CMSF already - what would "model[ing] [PRR] accurately" look like to you, that is distinctly different to what we already have?

Or were you talking about the British penchant for wearing berets?

Well for starters they should maybe be wearing them. No Berets though, not in combat.

Perhaps a PRR would enable the Squad to be more spread out? 1.10 seems to have improved the 'lets all run in a gaggle' mode, but its still unrealistic to see a 13 man Marine squad hang around a door waiting to get in a building.

Anyway, Im sure if they can stick shades on marines they can slap a PRR on some Suaddies.

Anyway thats not a Beret, this is!

223pxchasseuralpinp1040jq3.jpg

Oh, ok then. Just eye candy.

No offence meant here, but isnt shades on a Marine in a night mission bloody eye candy too?

I actually thought that was one of the big leaps forward in the CM-2 games, eye candy and all?

Anyway, Im not sure SF can model a much looser infantry formation, as I understand it roght now, and correct me if Im a Biff here, we have 1-1 soldier representation, but not 1-1 soldier modelling in space. So no amount of PRR and aids to better infantry communication in the noise and heat of battle is going to change that.

Perhaps using the PRR would make them more efficient soldiers, increase their relative skill level? After all, squad ncos wont be shouting vague commands over the din, they would be speaking clear commands over their PRR.

Just a thought. If the Marines use something similar, then that should be modelled too....... Much more convincing then shades at night!!!

The British soldiers look pretty cool with the PRR and it is one of the things that makes them look different, apart from the helmet and the trousers thing. There is also the camo and the weapons and... oh well, they are quite different. :)

I don´t think there should be a dispute between eye candy and realism. I´d like to see as much eye candy as possible and as much realism as possible too!

Personally I think there is a very good balance of both in the game. It has realism without being tedious and eye candy enough to make it immersive and fun.

-

No offence meant here, but isnt shades on a Marine in a night mission bloody eye candy too?

None taken, and you are correct - the sunnies are 'just' eye candy (and yes, it would be nice if they took them off at night).

When you said 'properly modelled' I thought you meant some kind of AI or comms changes.

Does the US really not use PRR? Huh.

3. Maybe insignificant, but paramount, Brit soldiers DO NOT tuck their trousers (pants if your US) into their boots. We like to have them round our ankles.

... the trousers thing. ...

I'm not quite sure I understand this one. All the UK soldiers I've ever seen have their trousers bloused. For example:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41038000/jpg/_41038858_vehicle203_ap.jpg

http://www.islamonline.net/english/news/2003-04/08/images/pic20.jpg

http://www.milsatmagazine.com/cgi-bin/display_image.cgi?1273090890

http://www.stockphotography.co.uk/Upload/Stock/Watermarked/11607.jpg

http://www.history.army.mil/photos/gulf_war/096_07.jpg

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/mediamonkey/iraqpic3440.jpg

They aren't tucked into the boots (which strikes me as a particularly uncomfortable thing to do) but the definately aren't around the ankles, and aren't hanging loose.

The boot and trouser thing is due to elasticated clips tucked into the hem of the trouser leg and rolled up and clipped so as to make a fake elasticated cuff. They are not tucked into the boot per se.

Also the laces on the boots are usually tied at the back thru the leather loop and the spare length of lacer is hidden.

The boot and trouser thing is due to elasticated clips tucked into the hem of the trouser leg and rolled up and clipped so as to make a fake elasticated cuff. They are not tucked into the boot per se.

Also the laces on the boots are usually tied at the back thru the leather loop and the spare length of lacer is hidden.

Uh. Yes. Quite. I do have a little practical experience there.

But in terms of external visual difference between the US and the UK ... it's pretty trivial, no?

I never thought Id spark a huge discussion on how to wear your trousers, however. The elastic bungees are optional and many wear them, but when standing up you generally pull the elastic down to the foot. 2 seconds running around and bending your knees causes the elastic to ride up.

No big deal though but its definitely not tucked into a boot and half way up the leg. A tiny touch of realism adds to a game, just as the PRR would.

What about the Minimi? I can only remember us having the Para version and not the one with a stock. Again, not that it makes a whole lot of difference.

Again, the UK javelin is different and comes with a Tripod and has a more effective sight system too.

That's what differentiates Scottish from English.

No, actually it's Hadrian's wall that performs that function. Should that fail, there's police.

We need something to differentiate Brits from Americans. ;)

That'd be the Atlantic. But why you'd like to have it in CMSF is beyond me!? :confused:

No, actually it's Hadrian's wall that performs that function. Should that fail, there's police.

Point taken. Hadrian's Wall, police, and bagpipes should leave no doubt.

That'd be the Atlantic. But why you'd like to have it in CMSF is beyond me!? :confused:

I'll take the Mediterranean though . . .

Back to my last question, which hasnt been answered by anyone who knows.

Anyway, Im not sure SF can model a much looser infantry formation, as I understand it right now, and correct me if Im a Biff here, we have 1-1 soldier representation, but not 1-1 soldier modelling in space. So no amount of PRR and aids to better infantry communication in the noise and heat of battle is going to change that.

Perhaps using the PRR would make them more efficient soldiers, increase their relative skill level? After all, squad ncos wont be shouting vague commands over the din, they would be speaking clear commands over their PRR.

Im curious if this COULD be done with the engine/game/whatever? Could the addition of the PRR automatically increase the command/efficiency/combat ability of the unit using it? After all, it does appear to do so in real life.