Artillery/air support questions

Infantry in a building - obviously you can sometimes blow the entire structure to Hell using 155mm ammo, but if you just want to suppress or better yet kill the enemy inside...

60mm mortars - use air burst or general with a target area ON the building or in front of it?

81mm - same question - will it go down through the roof at all or is it better to try to aim impacts slightly in front of where the enemy is situated?

Enemy in trenches - air burst (infantry target) right overhead I assume is best?

Armor - do 81mm mortars do anything to tanks but force them to button up?

'Copters - if you have enemy infantry in a building - target medium on the building? What about in a trench - area fire?

Thanks! Still trying to decide how to best use the support assets...

Enemy in trenches : airburst it is :D !!!

Armor - I've frequently used mortars against lone armored targets, like BTRs or BMPs during the campaign and it worked very well : if you target the vehicle and use "armor" ammo, a "short" fire mission is enough to get a direct hit. Very useful during recon phase

Enemy in trenches : airburst it is :D !!!

Armor - I've frequently used mortars against lone armored targets, like BTRs or BMPs during the campaign and it worked very well : if you target the vehicle and use "armor" ammo, a "short" fire mission is enough to get a direct hit. Very useful during recon phase

Figured that one was true, it's buildings I wonder about. With the 155 it's pretty easy to just slag the place, with smaller stuff it's less clear whether to send it on the roof hoping it will penetrate to the bad guys, or try to detonate the rounds next to the building hoping that stuff will KO who's inside. I'd think that general out front would work, but don't know. Heh heh, maybe I should test it and set up a mini-scenario both ways and play the red side to watch the havoc. Hmmm, come to think of it that may be a good way to test lots of things.

Mhh, from my experience, it seems that Airburst rounds are ineffective against fortified targets (ie : buildings), but I haven't tried to target the front of the house (haven't tought about it :D ). Will try...

But definitely, I think that 81mm "general" are still good against buildings (120mm is excellent :eek:)...

Don't forget smoke.

Not only does it allow you to get close while being concealed, if you target the smoke directly on an enemy position (or building) the incoming rounds will cause suppression and (a few) casualties.

Also, if you breach a couple of walls simultaneously (ie, use the 'blast' command) you will often find the occupants cowering on the floor when your guys charge in through the hole.

Smoke. Use it to get your squads in position to bring fires to bear on the enemy position. trying to take out anything larger than a small single story building with 81mm is going to use way to many rounds.

Exactly - so if they're in a building 81mm or smaller mortars are useless except for laying smoke? I think I need to test this all out to find out, it appears no one knows for sure.

No, loads of people know that light and medium mortars aren't great against buildings. This has been known since - at least - 1944.

There is a difference in what I am trying to find out. I know they don't work against buildings, what I'm asking is if they work at all against people IN buildings. Bring down the shells on the roof would possibly do unpleasant things to people in a one story building or on the top floor of a mult-story building. Bring the rounds down out front and you'd expect splinters and shrapnel to impact any bad guys in the side of the building on which the shells are falling.

I could care less if the building falls down or continues to stand if the enemy inside is either killed, wounded or just pinned so that my troops can more safely get inside (or on top, if it's only rubble).

CMSF has a lot of depth but lacks some basic tutorial or guide in what works on what and what doesn't.

Rounds landing close to a building have a chance to damage the occupants. The larger the round and the closer the hit the better the chance. One thing you might try is using a small area target centered on the building. That way the rounds might be distributed more. If you use a point target then a larger proportion of the rounds will strike the building itself, which may not be what you want. (I haven't checked this out in any systematic way so it may just be a matter of perception.)

I know they don't work against buildings, what I'm asking is if they work at all against people IN buildings.

That - causing cas in bldgs - is the question I was answering. I don't care about the buildings, per se :)

CMSF has a lot of depth but lacks some basic tutorial or guide in what works on what and what doesn't.

With the built in scen editor it has one of the greatest tutorials and guides ever built. If no one can or will answer your question, simply set up a shooting-gallery test-scen and answer it yourself :)

That - causing cas in bldgs - is the question I was answering. I don't care about the buildings, per se :)

With the built in scen editor it has one of the greatest tutorials and guides ever built. If no one can or will answer your question, simply set up a shooting-gallery test-scen and answer it yourself :)

that's what I'm gonna do - soon as I figure out how the pre-planned bombardments work. I'll set-up some Syrians in buildings and try various bombardments to see what happens. I can start the game as Syrian and be on the receiving end - that should tell me what I want to know. Stay tuned, I will report what I find, and try to make the experiment as scientific as possible to limit variables.