Whirlwind Battle Strategy

I am able to take over the hilltop and defend the german attack but destroying the AT guns on the other side is proving difficult. Attacking with armor is proving futile for me. I eventually won the battle by rushing the guns with scattered infantry but all of my armor providing covering fire were destroyed. Are rushing these guns with inf. the best strat for this?

I also had a question on the computer AI. I know it cannot be perfect but after you take the hill the germans launch a counterattack with armor that will roll right up to your tanks. I am talking these tanks did not stop until they were maybe 5 meters between them and me. I expect this in games like COH but not in a simulation like this. The battlefield was wide open and they had shots from a 1000m out but decided to keep coming until they were smack dab against my armor. Does the computer control all armor like this? I hope not. Note: The infantry counterattack also came barrelling at my armor to their slaughter. My ass would have retreated to cover.

I suppose that rushing the guns on opposite slope is the best.

Global AI is ruled by triggers, so if you see a questionable enemy behavior it means that mission designer was not expecting what you just did; if mission designer programmed retreat in such circumstances, enemy will retreat or do anything that was programmed, if not, such situation may occur and they will keep advancing until morale fail (and veterans have quite high morale). Some missions were made more accurately than others. Battle of Normandy missions were made after all others and should be more polished; also in ToW2 designers try to implement more logical and 'lively' enemy tactics.

Also try to make and play a couple of battles in Battle Generator. Triggers in missions made by it are generic, but pretty advanced to suit most combat situations (including retreat). Look how AI acts and reacts to your actions in those missions.