"Medic" function seems odd?....

Hi all.

Im enjoying Marines, and for the first time I started to focus on the possibility that my men actually could deliver som 'buddy aid' and save wounded soldiers and/or retrieve lost weapons.

However, in case of a wounded soldier I do se that one of my other men are performing the 'medic' task, but after a while the wounded soldier that was 'buddy aided' suddenly just disappear from the screen, physically, and not because he is back to a unit or so. Hes just gone. Any other experienced that? And, just picking up weapons dont work either.

I don't know how works the "pick up weapons" feature, but the Buddy Aid does just what happened to you: buddy aid is given to heavily wounded soldiers who cannot keep fighting. Then they disappear, as if they received a MedEvac. In the Debriefring, that soldier will be a Wounded In Action, instead a Killed In Action or a Lost In Combat. It has something to do with the points you don't get per losses.

That is the way it is supposed to work.

Your guys don't have magic crystals in their first field dressings.

IIRC, in a campaign there is a chance that buddy-aided troops will come back later. In a scenario there is a better chance they will be classified as wounded rather than dead at end-game, which has points implications.

BTW, in case you weren't already aware; bright red circles are WIA, dirty brown-red circles are KIA. You can buddy aid both, but BA on a KIA just tidies up the battle field and gives you a chance to recover wpns and ammo.

You are all assuming that points will be affected more if a guy is KIA rather than WIA. I asked about this ages ago and was told by BFC that currently the points for KIA and WIA are identical. Unless they've made a change for 1.10 that isn't listed, this appears to still be the case.

In other words, do buddy aid if it makes you feel good but don't expect it to be rewarded by the scenario because it will probably make no difference at all.

I distinctly remember someone saying that KIA is worse than WIA by some ammount (50%?). Might of been my imagination though, anyway you get some ammo and you save your little dudes that's enough incentive!

I asked for this change in a previous thread and Steve of BFC said he'd mention it to Charles but there is no mention of it having been changed for 1.10 - i.e. it isn't mentioned in the features list for 1.10.

My original thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=75641&highlight=buddy+aid

Quote from Steve from in that thread:

"Now, as of right now there is no difference between WIA and KIA because WIA are only those casualties that are out of the fight for a prolonged amount of time. Meaning, as far as the battle for Syria goes they are "as good as dead". The lightly wounded soldiers (the ones in Yellow) are not considered casualties either during the game or in the post AAR. These are guys who are very lightly wounded and are not going to be out of the fight for long."

Another quote from Steve:

"Presently the effect of Buddy Aid is more "feel good" value than it should be, so we will change things so that there is a point difference between the categories. Probably something like 0.5 for WIA, 0.8 for WIA, 1.0 for KIA. This yields a system like Cpl Steiner is asking for without having to do any complicated recoding. And we like good ideas that don't take a month to implement

Dunno when Charles will stick this in, but it will go in sooner rather than later."

So Steve, did this new feature make it into 1.10?

The treatment of WIA in CMSF is, to me, a hidden gem. I read a lot of the angst-filled threads prior to the release of CMSF and, frankly, did not think a medic-driven game (or even one with medics) would do much to add to the game.

I was wrong.

I find myself searching the battlefield for my fallen pixeltroops. I always detach some group to go get them. It bothers me to see WIA/KIA lying there.

This was unexpected, and helps pull me in to the gameworld.

Another reason to doff my cap to BF.C.

Thanks,

Ken

This reminds me of something I'd been wondering about... is there a reason you can't yoink weapons from fallen enemies?

The weapons seem to be modeled separately from the people, since they can fly through the air and lie on the ground by themselves. People can already get weapons from friendly casualties so that's in the game, animations are presumably tied to weapon and not to soldier so anyone could start using the animation for an enemy weapon when they get it, stripping a body of weapons and ammo rather than providing first aid is in now with the instant death status, and the game already has a feature for reduced ability with unfamiliar weapons.

"I don't know much about this kind of thing, but it seems to me..." ;)

It's something I'd love to see, though. For those scenarios where you're cut off, help is some time away and you're running low on ammo. I played one like that where it'd have been great to be able to send half my remaining guys holed up in a building into the street to loot the corpses they'd shot down - the sort of tense and nail-biting situation Combat Mission does so well!

The treatment of WIA in CMSF is, to me, a hidden gem. I read a lot of the angst-filled threads prior to the release of CMSF and, frankly, did not think a medic-driven game (or even one with medics) would do much to add to the game.

I was wrong.

I find myself searching the battlefield for my fallen pixeltroops. I always detach some group to go get them. It bothers me to see WIA/KIA lying there.

This was unexpected, and helps pull me in to the gameworld.

Another reason to doff my cap to BF.C.

Thanks,

Ken

I know what you mean. I was playing the 1st campaign mission and one my guys was shot. I stopped the squad's advance and waited until he was medevaced (i.e. disappears), it did not feel right just leaving him there..:)

ps - as far as I know, having KIA as opposed to WIA does affect the points, but I will check.

This reminds me of something I'd been wondering about... is there a reason you can't yoink weapons from fallen enemies?

The weapons seem to be modeled separately from the people, since they can fly through the air and lie on the ground by themselves. People can already get weapons from friendly casualties so that's in the game, animations are presumably tied to weapon and not to soldier so anyone could start using the animation for an enemy weapon when they get it, stripping a body of weapons and ammo rather than providing first aid is in now with the instant death status, and the game already has a feature for reduced ability with unfamiliar weapons.

"I don't know much about this kind of thing, but it seems to me..." ;)

It's something I'd love to see, though. For those scenarios where you're cut off, help is some time away and you're running low on ammo. I played one like that where it'd have been great to be able to send half my remaining guys holed up in a building into the street to loot the corpses they'd shot down - the sort of tense and nail-biting situation Combat Mission does so well!

We're looking into it ;) The problem is that there are definite reasons why picking up stuff should not work, even if all the conditions necessary for it (distance, time, suppression, etc.) are favorable. The two primary reasons are:

1. When the soldier values his own weapon more than the one he has an opportunity to pick up.

2. When the soldier can not handle the extra weight. We do not have complicated logic algorithms for soldiers to figure out "hmmm... if I drop this and that I can pick up one of this weapon, but not its ammo. If I also drop this other thing I can pick up both". So if the weight limit is exceeded by the possible pickup, it won't happen.

This is the way it should be, however it unfortunately masked the problem which, we think, came up very late in the v1.10 process. By the time we discovered it, and confirmed that it wasn't just bad luck, it was decided not to interrupt the release schedule. We should have it fixed up in v1.11.

We'll keep you posted!

Steve

We're looking into it ;) The problem is that there are definite reasons why picking up stuff should not work, even if all the conditions necessary for it (distance, time, suppression, etc.) are favorable. The two primary reasons are:

1. When the soldier values his own weapon more than the one he has an opportunity to pick up.

2. When the soldier can not handle the extra weight. We do not have complicated logic algorithms for soldiers to figure out "hmmm... if I drop this and that I can pick up one of this weapon, but not its ammo. If I also drop this other thing I can pick up both". So if the weight limit is exceeded by the possible pickup, it won't happen.

This is the way it should be, however it unfortunately masked the problem which, we think, came up very late in the v1.10 process. By the time we discovered it, and confirmed that it wasn't just bad luck, it was decided not to interrupt the release schedule. We should have it fixed up in v1.11.

We'll keep you posted!

Steve

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=84052&highlight=Buddy+Aid&page=2

And as for the original point, as I understand it, there is a 25% chance that a wounded soldier ends up as a KIA on the AAR.

Something I was wondering about was buddy aid to fallen enemies? Not taking weapons and ammo as BFC has stated somewhere that this is not gonna happen. I think...

What's the protocol for dealing with enemy wounded near or in your position? Obviously if combat is raging then it's not anywhere near top priority but in a quiet sector would troops leave enemy wounded to die? I guess it's something that cannot easily be simulated because it might boil down to an individual trooper or officers's decision.

Maybe points could be scored per "prisoner" i.e buddy aided enemy?

• 2 weeks later...
Something I was wondering about was buddy aid to fallen enemies? Not taking weapons and ammo as BFC has stated somewhere that this is not gonna happen. I think...

What's the protocol for dealing with enemy wounded near or in your position? Obviously if combat is raging then it's not anywhere near top priority but in a quiet sector would troops leave enemy wounded to die? I guess it's something that cannot easily be simulated because it might boil down to an individual trooper or officers's decision.

Maybe points could be scored per "prisoner" i.e buddy aided enemy?

In reality we are required to render aid to wounded enemy combatants still on the battlefield after the fight is over.