Minefields

I am almost certainly misunderstanding how Engineers work. As far as I can understand, the Mark Mines command can only be used once mines have been detected and, as far as I can see, the only way for Engineers to detect mines is the same way as everyone else - you walk into the minefield and take casualties. Even after marking mines, the area is not safe and I have lost a vehicle moving on Slow through the marked minefield. Is there no way for a: Engineers to detect and mark mines without blundering into the middle of them? b: render the minefield harmless.

At the moment, laying a Mixed minefield is the single most destructive thing you can do to a unit - even of Engineers.

Problem is that BFC never have implemented Real Life engineer abilities/equipment in-game

For example, in RL usually 2 out of 4 tanks in each tank platoon are equipped with mine plow/roller

Strykers also have mine plow version

There are MICLIC trailers that can be towed behind a striker, M113, LAV, and used to breach lanes through minefield.

Finally we have arty delivered smoke, so you can use that to mask your mine-field breaching ops.

Can't mines be destroyed by shooting at them? Maybe random HE shoots, just as the ones from Tanks, AFVs or Arty could make the mines explode?

Would that happen in RL?

This is just an idea, i haven't tested it (in fact, the only map with a minefield i have seen is the first one of the Semper Fi campaign).

• 5 weeks later...

This is what I have observed about mine fields. Units on foot moving through a minefield using "quick" get blown up. If they move through using "hunt" or "slow" they are less likely to trigger mines, but it can still happen. Contrary to what is implied by the manual, engineers seem to have no special abilities in their ability to find and mark mines, and seem just as likely to be blown up as other foot soldiers. I have yet to see an opportunity for engineers to "mark mines" (the option is never available).

If someone has found a better way to deal with mine fields, please let me know.

I believe the way engineer units interact with minefields is one area of the game that still needs some improvement.

• 4 weeks later...