Marine campaign - totally flustrated!

I got SOOOOO close! Draw - managed to take one of the two central positions and the one on the back right hand side. I don't know how to deal with the mine fields, and so ran out of time having lost too much getting past them (mostly the hard way :eek:).

SPOILER!!!

The back right objective is empty until mid game when Syrian forces come in and occupy it. They had a very rude surprise when they came in this last time I played (very satisfying!).

If I can figure out the mine issue I'll be set to get 2 of the 3 objectives at least.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh! What's up with this mission? I FINALLY beat it, with a marginal but still it was a vicotry and I go back one? Does the next mission after that big town attack just look similar to the one with the trucks having to cross the "field"? Do I have to win big to progress to the next mission?

Waaaaah! :confused:

The campaign is borked so forces you into this mission, all roads lead to pooh they say.

Excellent map, currently on my fourth attempt after a loss, draw and minor victory, hopefully a major victory this time and will be able to put this map behind me.

Would be interested to hear the proposed changes to this mission (and campaign in general) in 1.11

FINALLY got past this one!

I went up the left side instead of the middle and though none of my 4 tanks made it through in working condition (dang ATGM's - still have no idea how to deal with them!) I managed at tactical victory somehow. I grabbed the highway objective and piglet (I think), the one toward the back left side. I almost made it to the center objective (Eeyore I think) but ran out of time.

Biggest issues - ATGM's and artillery. I cheated somewhat in that I knew where many of the enemy forces were at (I had predator drones I guess) and I took advantage of the AI's love to bombard Hummers. I put them out and wag their behinds at the spotters then move them when the spotting rounds start to fall. Keep that up and they'll use up all their arty and leave my troops alone for the most part.

The campaign is borked so forces you into this mission, all roads lead to pooh they say.

Excellent map, currently on my fourth attempt after a loss, draw and minor victory, hopefully a major victory this time and will be able to put this map behind me.

Would be interested to hear the proposed changes to this mission (and campaign in general) in 1.11

I will probably go back to this one when the fix is made so the trucks with reinforcements don't pop in under fire.

Nothing irks me more in CMSF then when my reinforcements come on and are immediately killed off with ATGM's and what not before I can do anything.

I managed to finally get a tactical win on this one. I came up the left side where the hill is. There are 3 ATGM squads over there that are trouble but my poor Hummers attract their attention and let me zero in my artillery. I had more problems with the enemy artillery - they seem to have a near never ending supply of shells. I've found that moving everything around as soon as I see spotting rounds falling pays well, and I use any hummers left to draw Artillery fire by parking them out where the spotter can see them as "bait".

I managed to take out all but a couple of the enemy tanks that came in, and since I was covering the left, my trucks didn't get hammered instantly, though I did find a BMP3 over there that had hidden well until the trucks arrived - M1A1 "found it". Drove my IFV's up the left side, managed to dodge mines I guess - and into the buildings. I then worked my way toward Pooh, sent some back to Piglet and then went for Eeyore but the game ended before I could secure it.

I admit that I now know where - or about where most of the ATGM's are at and enemy BMP-3's and tanks so it's not like I won this one out of great "generalship". Even semi-cheating (I just assume I have live predator drones over head ) I FINALLY won (well, more won than lost at least).